[NCSG-PC] GNSO SSC - Naveed and Raymond

Bruna Martins dos Santos bruna.mrtns at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 13:09:14 EEST 2021

Dear all,

I have been a little overwhelmed with other work-related stuff but wanted
to agree with Stephanie on this. And, despite the fact that our charter
does not forbid this kind of situation, I think its somehow problematic
that the two are holding these positions and might see themselves in a
little conflict of interest at some point.

I think we could chat with them, maybe, in order to try to understand what
is their plan for standing for both ALAC and NCSGs interest in the
mentioned spaces and - next time - try to avoid this from happening from
the selection moment. But we would then of course have to overcome the
volunteer shortage we are in.

best,

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 8:41 AM Farell FOLLY <farell at benin2point0.org>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I will join Tomslin and Stephanie on that matter. That means that I also
> see a conflict, however, it might manageable if discussions with the
> concerned  persons can lead to some acceptable agreements, assuming we
> believe in their good faith. Afterwards, we need to find a way to prevent
> it from happening again in the future.
>

> @__f_f__
>
> Best regards
> ____________________________________
>
> Lt-Colonel Farell FOLLY, Ir
> GNSO Councillor
> linkedin.com/in/farellf
>

> On 13 Oct 2021, at 21:30, Tomslin Samme-Nlar <mesumbeslin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Thank you Stephanie. I agree and it is my personal opinion too that there
> is an inherent conflict of interest due to the tensions we've been having
> with ALAC. But since there is no explicit guidance in the charter, I wanted
> a collective decision by the PC on this. So I request members to express
> their views please.
>
> Tomslin
>

> On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 at 04:42, Stephanie E Perrin <
> stephanie at digitaldiscretion.ca> wrote:
>
>> Yes I think there is a problem.  I understand that there is nothing in
>> the Charter that precludes dual representation.  However, we are in tension
>> with ALAC in various areas, notably in their approach to the EPDP and the
>> ACs' role in policy development.  This is an appointments committee....are
>> ALAC representatives going to object to business members who are prominent
>> in ALAC being chosen for roles? seems like a conflict of interest to me,
>> one has to choose an allegiance and stick to it.  I am an ALAC NA member,
>> but I do nothing with ALAC except try to promote better relationships with
>> them, as long as I am performing in an NCSG role.  I think this is the
>> appropriate response, obviously, but I would like to hear someone defend
>> these reappointments on conflict of interest principles.
>>
>> We must be dying if we cannot find new reps for this committee.
>>
>> cheers Steph
>> On 2021-10-12 3:58 p.m., Tomslin Samme-Nlar wrote:
>>
>> Dear PC,
>>
>> As you know, the GNSO Standing Selection Committee (SSC) is due for
>> refresh as they do annually after the AGM. *Naveed Bin Rais* and *Raymond
>> Mamattah*, two of our current representatives to the SSC, both of whom
>> have been selected by the NomCom to serve as ALAC members representing
>> their regions at the end of ICANN72 are also both eligible to serve a
>> second term as NCSG appointed members to the GNSO SSC and are willing to.
>>
>> My question to you is, do you think their situation poses any conflict of
>> interest to NCSG, noting that I can't recall any specific provision in our
>> charter which prevents them from serving in both roles.
>>
>> Please let me know.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tomslin

*Bruna Martins dos Santos *

German Chancellor Fellow 21' (Bundeskanzler-Stipendiatinnen) | Alexander
von Humboldt Foundation <https://www.humboldt-foundation.de/>

Member | Coalizão Direitos na Rede <https://direitosnarede.org.br/>
Chair | Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group at ICANN
<https://gnso.icann.org/en/about/stakeholders-constituencies/ncsg>
Co-Coordinator | Internet Governance Caucus  <https://igcaucus.org/>

Twitter: @boomartins <https://twitter.com/boomartins> // Skype:
bruna.martinsantos