[NCSG-PC] Fwd: [council] RDS Scope Guidance

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Tue Feb 21 02:05:57 EET 2017

It is interesting to read that the call may be re-opened yet again for volunteers to serve on the Review team; my understanding was that it had been re-opened three times already.

I would prefer that a comprehensive Review be undertaken, but I appreciate it may not be the best allocation of the community’s resources. For that reason, I’m okay with a condensed timeline as long as we are not glazing over important issues that should indeed be reviewed. That said, I'm not entirely clear on what is in-scope as part of the compressed and comprehensive Review options — it would be useful if Staff could prepare a comparison table which clarifies what would be in-scope for each option.

What I don’t want is for the Review team to be brought onboard for six months and rushed to reach or (re)affirm a pre-determined conclusion. I worry about this when I see sentences like, “The scope be limited to “post mortem” of implementation results of the previous WHOIS review recommendations.” That sounds very restrictive to me.

I thought IPC or someone else said a few months ago that a condensed Review would not be in line with the Bylaws. I can’t remember where I read or heard this (it is also possible that I am imagining it) – does anyone else remember this being raised?

- Ayden