[NCSG-FC] My comments and edits on the FC operating Procedures

Remmy Nweke remmyn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 01:32:02 EEST 2018

 Hi Thato et al
Thanks too for this mail. I sent us a separate mail. Not sure you got or
saw it before this. However, my response will be in line of your mail.

1. Thanks for all the efforts going into making an input on the OP. Today
we need to develop a clean document to be shared publicly with the
community tomorrow. For purposes of presenting a unified FC OP document I
would like to recommend the following edits to clean up the document.

*Sections requiring edits based on current comment (subject to your
comment):*
Section 1: Obligations of FC members
iii. Lets leave the way Farzaneh has amended it
iv. The FC does not manage constituency funds
I really do not know what you mean here. Are you referencing the oversight
as contained in the OP. This is why there is need for harmonisation
meeting/session, so as to have everyone on the same page and table.

Section 2: Opening an account
ii. The edits made are not material to the extend that they require
consensus, edits already made are ok
Mr. Chairman, I think, every decision of FC deserves to have a relative
consensus, so that no one will tomorrow claim sidelined. I pray we are not
heading towards that. The OP including the Charter have means of taking
decision sir.

Section 3: Use of constituency bank account
Edits done by Farzaneh seem to be accomodative with me
Sorry sir, I do not think so. Personalising and customising Operating
Procedure the way she proposed to PIR is not ideal. Like I asked what
happens if tomorrow there is funding support from a funder more sympathic
to NPOC, do we have to change the OP again and what happens if we have PIR
and another still with NPOC co-funding. We have to be a neutral as possible
so as to accommodate any funder at all.

Section 4: Vacancies and removal of FC members
i & ii. It is cumbersome to have this clauses and as they are difficult to
monitor
iii.
a. Few edits were made but please feel free to provide your comments
c & d. Removal
e. Needs to be rephrased or deleted
Rephrasing has already been done by me and pasted there but because I do
not have editing powers, it was not adjusted and we need to look at it
together.

Section 5: Disbursement of funds
v. A formula or approach on how finances should be disbursed needs to be
developed and approved by the NCSG EC, seems like there is no consensus on
the FC regarding this
I think that the Operating Procedure will help us develop the disbursing
formula, so that when we are sending or sharing this with our community, it
will be a little comprehensive. Like i said earlier, we FC needs to meet to
harmonise some of these thoughts before sharing, otherwise it will amount
to sharing our dirty clothing in the public. And the haste to share this
without resolving these thoughts connotes a different agenda that we must
watch.

vi. Not sure why Farzaneh deleted this because constituencies need to plan
their expenses for financial planning purposes, failure to do so will
result in fruitless and irrational spending and uninformed decisions to
fund constituencies, *please provide your comments*.

2. I will go through the remaining sections and send an update so that we
have the document ready by 17pm UTC tomorrow. We now need one penholder
that will fairly express the view of the FC while acknowledging minority
views and comments in completiontion of this draft OP. Remmy initially was
the penholder, @Remmy, are you still up for it?

Mr. Chairman, I am still in as the penholder, that is if Farzaneh has
reinstated that, but then, this document will not be ready from my end by
17pm UTC tomorrow as proposed, because I already have a scheduled field
visit on Friday and may not come back or even with steady access until
Saturday morning. And I am not sure why the haste to share this without
resolving the various thoughts already made by FC members.

3. Anyway, there is something I am not understanding, why is James Gannon
editing and deleting content on the document? If someone can be kind to do
an introduction because the document is still under development by the FC.
If we can agree on 1 penholder we can close the editing rights and discuss
other issues via email, thanks.

This point, I raised it earlier and it should be Farzaneh that should
provide an answer because she shared the link in the name of 'Hold us
accountable" topic. Although I was expecting her to correct herself and
follow the guideline you as chair earlier shared with us on how to move
forward. I also think the sanctity of FC needed to be respected and we must
see ourselves as one to make progress.

For us to have a harmonised discuss, there should be a formal meeting
beginning with a doodle to enable people adjust their time schedules since
we are not all in the same time zone.

I honestly do not know why you want us to hurriedly close the editing and
continue discussion online. Once the draft is shared, its FC that shared it
and is responsible for its content and I would not like us to start
sounding like broken bottle at the community space, except if there are
questions that needed clarifications, so as to avoid us dominating discuss
on the community space.

My two cents
Good night.
____
REMMY NWEKE, mNGE,
Lead Strategist/Group Executive Editor,
DigitalSENSE Africa Media [*Multiple-award winning medium*]
(DigitalSENSE Business News
<http://www.digitalsenseafrica.com.ng/businessnews>; ITREALMS
<http://www.itrealms.com.ng>, NaijaAgroNet <http://www.naijaagronet.com.ng>)
Block F1, Shop 133 Moyosore Aboderin Plaza, Bolade Junction, Oshodi-Lagos
M: 234-8033592762, 8023122558, 8051000475, T: @ITRealms
<http://www.twitter.com/ITRealms>
Author: A Decade of ICT Reportage in Nigeria
<https://www.facebook.com/adecadeofictreportageinnigeria%E2%80%8E>

*South-South Nigeria DigitalSENSE Forum on IG4D & Nigeria IPv6 Roundtable
<http://www.digitalsenseafrica.com.ng>*
(Uyo, Akwa-Ibom State). JOIN us!!

*Vice President, African Civil Society on the Information Society (ACSIS
<http://www.acsis-scasi.org/en/>)

*NPOC FC Rep @ICANN Non-Commercial Stakeholders Group (NCSG)*
<https://gnso.icann.org/en/about/stakeholders-constituencies/ncsg>
*Confidentiality Notice:* The information in this document and attachments
are confidential and may also be privileged information. It is intended
only for the use of the named recipient. Remmy Nweke does not accept legal
responsibility for the contents of this e-mail. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify me immediately, then delete this document and do
not disclose the contents of this document to any other person, nor make
any copies. Violators may face court persecution.