[NCSG-FC] ICANN 59 Meeting

Sam Lanfranco lanfran at yorku.ca
Thu Jun 22 17:16:04 EEST 2017

All,

Sadly I cannot be there, so I support Ed's position:

/"....we should either go in that direction (and I'll try to discover on
the weekend whether there is interest in participating on the part of
other GNSO parties) or we should cancel the meeting all together."

/Hopefully we will have made substantial progress so that by ICANN 60 we
can deal with substantive issues and opportunities.

All the best to the assembled crew.

Sam L.

On 6/22/2017 9:55 AM, Edward Morris wrote:
> Hello,
> As everyone is aware, the NCSG Finance Committee has a 90 minute
> meeting slot reserved at ICANN 59 in Johannesburg. We are scheduled to
> meet between 10:30 and noon local time. On our last call we began to
> discuss what to do with this meeting slot but we ran out of time to
> complete the discussion.
> I see no reason to use this slot for a regular FC meeting. The
> following played a role in this evaluation:
> 1. We just had a 90 minute meeting covering all of the pertinent items
> before us. The action items from the 20 June meeting will not be
> completed before 27 June.
> 2. FC member Sam Lanfranco will not be in Johannesburg and the time
> difference would make this remote participation problematic.
> I don't like meeting for the sake of meeting. I am very cognisant that
> we are all volunteers here and I don't want to needlessly take
> anyone's time. I don't see any need for a meeting on the 27th. Of
> note, I do plan on asking ICANN Finance to send a member to attend our
> next call post-ICANN 59 to respond to items that came up on our call
> of 20 June.
> During our last call, I proposed to use the slot, provided I could get
> buy in from other parties, to bring together our colleagues in the
> GNSO with NC (NCSG, NCUC, NPOC)  FC and EC members who are in South
> Africa to discuss the GNSO approach to the budget. The Empowered
> Community places community responsibility for budgetary matters in the
> SO and not in the SG or C's. While ALAC and the CCNSO, for example,
> provide unified comments to Finance on budgetary matters, the GNSO
> provides multiple comments from the SG's, C's and Council. It's my
> belief that this weakens all of us in the GNSO in intracommunity
> budgetary deliberations. It would be my hope that coming together we
> might be able to figure a way to work together to strengthen all of
> our budgetary proposals.
> In my view we should either go in that direction (and I'll try to
> discover on the weekend whether there is interest in participating on
> the part of other GNSO parties) or we should cancel the meeting all
> together.
> I'll wait to hear from the other FC members before doing anything further.
> Kind Regards,
> Edward Morris

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852