[NCSG-FC] ICANN 59 Meeting

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Thu Jun 22 16:55:26 EEST 2017

Hello,

 As everyone is aware, the NCSG Finance Committee has a 90 minute meeting
slot reserved at ICANN 59 in Johannesburg. We are scheduled to meet between
10:30 and noon local time. On our last call we began to discuss what to do
with this meeting slot but we ran out of time to complete the discussion.

 I see no reason to use this slot for a regular FC meeting. The following
played a role in this evaluation:

 1. We just had a 90 minute meeting covering all of the pertinent items
before us. The action items from the 20 June meeting will not be completed
before 27 June.

 2. FC member Sam Lanfranco will not be in Johannesburg and the time
difference would make this remote participation problematic.

 I don't like meeting for the sake of meeting. I am very cognisant that we
are all volunteers here and I don't want to needlessly take anyone's time.
I don't see any need for a meeting on the 27th. Of note, I do plan on
asking ICANN Finance to send a member to attend our next call post-ICANN 59
to respond to items that came up on our call of 20 June.

 During our last call, I proposed to use the slot, provided I could get buy
in from other parties, to bring together our colleagues in the GNSO with NC
(NCSG, NCUC, NPOC)  FC and EC members who are in South Africa to discuss
the GNSO approach to the budget. The Empowered Community places community
responsibility for budgetary matters in the SO and not in the SG or C's.
While ALAC and the CCNSO, for example, provide unified comments to Finance
on budgetary matters, the GNSO provides multiple comments from the SG's,
C's and Council. It's my belief that this weakens all of us in the GNSO in
intracommunity budgetary deliberations. It would be my hope that coming
together we might be able to figure a way to work together to strengthen
all of our budgetary proposals.

 In my view we should either go in that direction (and I'll try to discover
on the weekend whether there is interest in participating on the part of
other GNSO parties) or we should cancel the meeting all together.

 I'll wait to hear from the other FC members before doing anything
further.

 Kind Regards,

 Edward Morris