[NCSG-EC] Approval of new members

Bruna Martins dos Santos bruna.mrtns at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 18:31:43 EET 2022

Hello, all,

I meant to jump in on this topic so thanks @Robin Gross
<robin at ipjustice.org> for officially adding us to the thread (:

Although Im not sure if Im one of the chairs that 'failed to point Julf to
the Operating Procedures', what we did before was to also have formal
discussions about the candidates when we saw that it was a case where one
of the EC members was heading towards a 'no'. Bearing in mind our consensus
rule, I always thought that such meetings were useful because it allowed
for a proper discussion about missing points in membership applications and
even information requests to prospective members.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 5:26 PM Johan Helsingius via NCSG-EC <
ncsg-ec at lists.ncsg.is> wrote:

> Thanks Robin, and yes, you are right about the Charter.
>
> A special thanks for the pointer to the Operating Procedures - something
> I have been asking about, but even former chairs were unable to point
> me to them.
>
>         Julf
>

> On 15/11/2022 17:18, Robin Gross wrote:
> > Thanks, Julf.
> >
> > Yes, it is super important that all members of the NCSG-EC become
> > familiar with the NCSG Charter and our SG’s Operating Procedures.
> >
> > The NCSG Charter
> > <https://community.icann.org/m/mobile.action#page/38046240> explains
> > that by default, EC decisions require no objections from any EC members.
> >   We can alter that decision-making threshold on a full consensus basis
> > but we have done that for new memberships.  See NCSG Charter:
> >
> > *2.4.2. NCSG‑EC Decision making*
> >
> >   * By default NCSG‑EC decisions are made by full consensus of all
> >     NCSG‑EC members. Full consensus means that no NCSG‑EC members have
> >     objected to the proposed decision. Any exception to this default
> >     will be approved by the NCSG‑EC on a full consensus basis.
> >
> > We also have established Operating Procedures
> > <
> https://community.icann.org/m/view-rendered-page.action?abstractPageId=88573383#>,
> that deal with the actual process for how the applications should move
> along (but does not alter our voting threshold).  See:
> >
> https://community.icann.org/m/view-rendered-page.action?abstractPageId=88573383#
> <
> https://community.icann.org/m/view-rendered-page.action?abstractPageId=88573383#
> >

> > I’d like to ask each member of the EC to review the NCSG Charter and the
> > New Member Approval Process Operating Procedures highlighted above so we
> > are all on the same page regarding our duties and expectations.
> >
> > So NCSG has always operated with the requirement that new memberships
> > require full consensus of all EC members.  I’ve cc’d former NCSG Chairs,
> > Bruna, Farzi, Rafik, and Avri to confirm this has been our longstanding
> > practice regarding new membership approvals in addition to what is
> > stated in our charter on EC decisions.  Thank you.
> >
> > Best,
> > Robin
> >
> >> On Nov 15, 2022, at 5:43 AM, Johan Helsingius <julf at Julf.com
> >> <mailto:julf at julf.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Robin,
> >>
> >> Thanks for going through the applications.

> >> That is a good question. We need to look into that.

> >> Is that documented anywhere. The NCSG charter specifies membership
> >> criteria, but not the actual approval procedure.
> >>
> >> Julf

*Bruna Martins dos Santos *

German Chancellor Fellow 21' (Bundeskanzler-Stipendiatin) | Alexander von
Humboldt Foundation <https://www.humboldt-foundation.de/>

Visiting Researcher (Gastwissenschaftlerin) | Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin
für Sozialforschung (WZB) <https://wzb.eu/en>

Member | Coalizão Direitos na Rede <https://direitosnarede.org.br/>
Co-Coordinator | Internet Governance Caucus  <https://igcaucus.org/>

Twitter: @boomartins <https://twitter.com/boomartins> // Skype: