[NCSG-EC] Follow up discussion on list standards of behaviour

Raphaël Beauregard-Lacroix rbeauregardlacroix at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 21:10:57 EET 2019

Hi all

So here is what I could come up with.

As you have said Steph, I think at this point we need you to take a more
active role in policing. It's sad, it feels child-like, but I think it is
the unfortunate reality. I'm sure you aspire to do more interesting things
as a chair, but at the same time only the chair has the legitimacy to put
in place this kind of enforcement actions, I believe.

So would be unacceptable:

-Threats of taking certain matters to the ICANN ombudsman or some other
authority;

-Statements or implications which may be understood as reflecting
negatively on someone's honor, character, ethics or morality.

-- *Including* accusations that someone is engaging in violations of
various laws, charters, bylaws, procedures, etc.

I think the last one is useful to illustrate the necessity of context in
evaluating behaviour in light of those standards. A point of procedure, or
an honest question about the charter, can be raised without framing it as
an accusation. Conversely, it is easy to weaponize that into an accusation.

Also, this does not change anything in the right of ICANN community members
to take any matter they wish to the Ombudsman or report any form of
unacceptable behaviour to them, and to any relevant community leaders.

Sanction: withdraw posting privilege from list and involve ombudsman. I'm
not quite sure of modalities, like how long and at what point to involve
the ombudsman.

Anyhow let me know what you think.

And safe travels back home or anywhere else you may be going!

Have a nice day,