[NCSG-EC] Fwd: Urgent - ICANN Academy: Leadership Program & Pilot Chairing Skills Program

Tapani Tarvainen ncsg at tapani.tarvainen.info
Thu Jan 12 16:21:09 EET 2017

Dear all,

It seems only two of our members applied for the ICANN Academy
Leadership program:

----- Forwarded message from Gisella Gruber <Gisella.Gruber at icann.org> -----

Dear Tapani,

please confirm the final selection of your candidate for the Leadership Program.

  *   Registered for the Leadership Program: Farell Folly and Raoul Plommer

[...]

Please confirm your final candidate as we have to finalise the names THIS WEEK.

----- End forwarded message -----

As far as I know neither is a supported traveler to Copenhagen nor
currently in any leadership position. The program is directed to
future leaders as well as current ones so the latter is not critical,
but as travel support is not included they'd have to fund their way to
the meeting otherwise.

I have written both and asked them to (1) confirm if they have travel
funding and (2) tell what leadership positions they hold or aspire to.

(I was a bit surprised to see only two applicants, and I did ask
Gisella to double check none have been missed.)

One should be named as the primary candidate and one as alternate
in case there're slots to spare or the primary can't make it.

Confirmed ability to attend (including travel funding) would be rather
obvious selection criteria, but if both have that, the decision won't
be obvious - opinions welcome. (I will let you know when I get their

For the other program, Chairing Skills, requirement was being current
Chair of some group or committee and I was the only such, so it falls
on me. I definitely could be better at Chairing so perhaps it'll be
useful. :-)

--
Tapani Tarvainen