[NCSG-PC] Fwd: Article on applicant support

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 10:20:19 EEST 2023

Hi Julf,

speaking here as the rep to GGP. Yes, the BE representative is pushing that
commercial entities can be covered by applicant support. That was discussed
several times in GGP and the argument against it is that we need to focus
on non-commercial and non-profit applicants. We had the same discussion 11
years ago about the JAS WG.
my personal opinion : this might possibly open the door for gaming and
some  will try to benefit from applicant support while they are solely for
profit. How many would do? I don't know ..
I believe NCSG's concern and focus is non-commercial, we shouldn't dilute
the program as that will be self-defeating.

for reference, quoting the section related to that topic:

> GOAL: That potential applicants from the not-for-profit sector, social
> enterprises and/or community organizations should be a priority target of
> events, communication channels, and publications, over those with a more
> commercial or technical focus.
>
> Approach: While not excluding any other type of applicant, ICANN org
> should prioritize targeting potential applicants from the not-for-profit
> sector, social enterprises and/or community organizations, over those with
> a more commercial or technical focus, through events, communications
> channels, and publications.
>
> Indicators of Success: That the majority of outreach events,
> communications channels, and publications are targeted to supported
> applicants are from not-for-profit sector, social enterprises and/or
> community organizations. [CONSIDER ADDING: However, groups with a more
> commercial focus should also remain a key focus of these outreach events,
> communications channels and publications.]
> Data/Metrics to Measure Success: Percentage of outreach events,
> communications channels, and publications targeted to supported applicants
> from not-for-profit sector, social enterprises and/or community
> organizations. [CONSIDER ADDING: with groups with a more commercial focus
> also remaining a key target.]

sorry that is just quick feedback. I will try to send some status report
soon regarding GGP working progress