[NCSG-PC] ICANN76 Board Questions/Topics- focusing on our Applicant Support Question

Kathy Kleiman kathy at dnrc.tech
Fri Mar 3 16:31:22 EET 2023

Hi John,

Tx for your revisions to Stephanie's email. /Did you see my email of 3/1
at 11:17am (Eastern)?? /

We are deeply invested in Applicant Support, but frankly, we
(NCSG/NCUC/NPOC) have provided precious little guidance on the topic in
the last 10 years, including missing some recent input deadlines.
Forgive me, but we are long on complaints, and short on solutions, and
in a technical policy group, /we need to find the solutions./

I offered some of them in the email I reference above. I believe our
questions have already been shared,and thus, Applicant Support is on the
agenda for our Board meeting. We are free to revise the question/segment
a bit. /What do you think of the two timeframes for promotion I offer? /

I see and hear your deep concern - but again, what solutions or options
do we want to recommend?  We all want balance due process,
inclusiveness, and diversity, but the Board will want to know how YOU
and NCSG/NCUC/NPOC recommend they do it.  Again, per my email: What is
the timeframe for publicity of this program? /I give some very specific
and constructive ideas we can bring forward. What do you think?  What
specific and constructive guidance would you give the Board based on the
groups you know are likely to need and use the Applicant Support
Program. I've been checking on my side, and I assume you have too. That
insight and information is timely, even critical right now. /

Further, were you on the SubPro ODP meeting Wed?   Staff reports that
the Board approved the reduction of application fees for Applicant
Support groups, but _rejected _the recommendation of SubPro that ICANN
provide additional forms of support to applicants, including legal and
technical counseling and advice for the application. The Board
apparently saw potential conflicts of interest. /How can we in
NCSG/NCUC/NPOC preserve this vital recommendation and find a way that
ICANN can help provide these services without ICANN being legally
responsible?/

/I've taken this email off the main list and copied it to NCSG Policy
Comment and NCUC Chair Benjamin who is very involved in these issues./

/Let's be constructive, even positive, in this critically important
moment - what constructive ideas, comments, tangible ways to move
forward can we provide?  I promise you that the Board is listening.
Will you be in Cancun to deliver this question in person?
/

/Best, Kathy/

--
Kathy Kleiman