[NCSG-PC] ICANN76 Board Questions/Topics

陳曼茹 Manju Chen manju at nii.org.tw
Wed Mar 1 12:12:12 EET 2023

My question:

1.
In her blog recapping the January workshop, Tripti suggested that the Board
'anticipates making incremental decisions leading up to the final decision
on opening a new application window for new gTLDs'. Can you elaborate on
what 'incremental decisions' are to be expected?

2.
Applicant Support is a topic dear to the heart of NCSG. In the SubPro ODA,
it was suggested that the applicant support program starts 18 months prior
to the anticipated application submission period opening. The ODA also
offered 2 options for implementing SubPro outputs, where option 2 only
requires 18 months of implementation. While the GGP continues its work, it
seems impossible to incorporate the Applicant Support Program in time for
the next round in the aggressive timeline of Option 2. While we appreciate
the org's effort in mitigating risks and enhancing efficiency by developing
option 2, the next round would be meaningless if we open it without a
meaningful and genuinely effective applicant support program. We have
received questions from the Board about how to be agile and come up with
new ways of working on issues to increase efficiency,. However, we fear
this desire to move things forward can damage the inclusive, diverse
multistakeholder model that defines ICANN. And Option 2 could be the exact
example. How does the Board plan to balance the desire to be agile without
compromising the due process, inclusiveness, and diversity of the
multistakeholder model in its deliberations, including SubPro ODA?

The second question is a bit wordy and I'm afraid not as clear. Appreciate
if anyone would help editing/rephrasing to make it clearer!

Best,
Manju