[NCSG-PC] ICANN76 Board Questions/Topics

Johan Helsingius julf at Julf.com
Wed Mar 1 10:59:03 EET 2023

Just as a reminder, here are the questions from our last
session with the board:

PDPs Effectiveness and Volunteer fatigue

     NCSG would like to discuss Board Approval, implementation by ICANN
org and delays of several PDPs - something we have already discussed
with you in previous occasions. If we look at processes such as the EPDP
related ones I think we can find a good example due

     to the fact that even despite the fact that the board didn't yet
approve phase 2 recommendation, which were submitted in 2020, there is
talk about the design paper of SSAD light. And in the past years, I
guess we started gathering more examples of where the development
process drags on for far too long and the implementation becomes the
place de facto to redo policy recommendations. So NCSG would like to
request the board for comments about the current speed or even how do
you plan to work together with GNSO and its groups on possible
improvements to the PDPs timeline and so on.

      What efforts are channeled to keep the people in the community
from volunteer fatigue?

Whois Disclosure System

     The recently published Whois Disclosure System design paper
mentioned a risk that the system might not provide actionable data for
use to answer questions raised by the SSAD ODA and this makes us a
little concerned about the EPDP recommendations. The direction this work
is going seems to point towards the intention to throw away the EPDP
recommendations related to SSAD. I'd like to know what the board thinks
about this concern.

ICANN Leadership positions

     What is the Board’s take on the phenomenon of ICANN recycling
veterans for leadership positions. Does the Board think it’s beneficial
for the community to have the usual suspects rotating between leadership
roles of different stakeholder groups?  How do we fix this if we agree
this is a problem? How does the Board imagine its role in assisting the
community to recruit more new blood?

NomCom

     NCSG has been talking for a long time about the lack of proper
representation at the NomCom, the current state of things is that this
part of the community only holds one seat at the group - currently held
by NCUC - and we trust this configuration is not really representative
of the diversity of stakeholders within GNSO or even proportional if we
consider that other SGs hold more than just one seat. Therefore we have
a very simple question: is there a possibility of rebalancing the NomCom?

	Julf