[NCSG-PC] NCSG Minority report on the EPDP phase 2a final report

Tomslin Samme-Nlar mesumbeslin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 01:25:43 EEST 2021

Greetings members.

Hi Farzaneh, thanks for raising this objection and concerns. I agree this
was a bit too last minute for my liking as well, as it didn't allow us room
to follow procedures properly and to use the proper channels for it. The
discussions of the statement on the mailing-list for example happened in
the middle of the night my time. The Policy Committee procedures recommend
a 24 hour minimum timeframe to evaluate consensus if it is an urgent
statement to be issued outside an ICANN physical Meeting.

Like the PC procedures recommend, for an urgent statement, at least 24
hours from the time the statement is shared with both members and the PC,
should have been given. When the PC was informed of the coming statement, I
informed our councilors and group chair that I was happy with the statement
as long as members had a chance to comment on it and the EPDP members
supported the statement. However, it would be difficult to consider the
'chance to comment' as inclusive if it is less than 24 hours, given the
timezone differences. Based on this, I don't think the statement should
have been submitted.

Having said that, *I do not support withdrawing the statement*. I don't
believe we should fix the issue by making a bigger mess, especially since
the drafters did try to address comments to the statement, albeit the
window being short.

We should however learn from this procedural mistake and strive to make our
comment and statement process inclusive. If it is an urgent statement, a 24
hour window must still be given to members and the PC. Future statements
should follow all applicable procedures.

Best regards,
Tomslin
PC Chair