[NCSG-PC] Dissent on the EPDP final report

Stephanie E Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Fri Sep 10 19:59:15 EEST 2021

So I have added the following statement to the document:

"

We note that those parties who pushed the hardest for making this
distinction between legal and natural persons also pushed hard for a
field or fields to input the data.Given that the recommendation will
remain that it is a voluntary field, and it is up to the contracted
parties, whose business models vary enormously, how they use the
field(s), we do not believe that recommendations concerning the
precision of the field are useful.If ICANN undertakes to instruct the
IETF, for instance, how to standardize the field, how is the distinction
and the collection and disclosure of the relevant data necessary to make
that distinction still voluntary?This is a matter to be left to private
sector best practice.

It appears immediately before the last paragraph.
Manju and I remain convinced that we need to make this statement. She is
hopefully asleep at this moment, being 12 hours out of sync with EST.
It reflects the arguments we have been pursuing for the last number of
months, nothing new here....but it will be forgotten if we don't restate
it, and we all know that comments on the final report are not going to
be read as much as these minority statements.
I am including Kathy and Bruna on this thread as I know Kathy has been
following the arguments recently rather closely.

cheers Steph