[NCSG-PC] [council] Supporting Document for November Council Meeting Agenda Item 4: Revised GNSO Councilor Job Description for the Nominating Committee

Stephanie E Perrin stephanie at digitaldiscretion.ca
Thu Nov 18 00:21:27 EET 2021

Thanks Steve, I was doing markup on the redline version, but apparently
the changes dont show clearly.  I have copy pasted it below, but you
have captured the sense of it.

Stephanie

The NomCom is seeking accomplished persons of integrity, objectivity,
and intelligence with *e**xperience*[SP1] <#_msocom_1>in the
multistakeholder policymaking process and within the GNSO community.
While GNSO Council members should have a deep understanding of the GNSO
structure, existing ICANN consensus policies, and contracts
between ICANN and registries and registrars, preference will be given to
candidates with a demonstrable ability to manage the policy development
process towards the best interests of the entire GNSO community rather
than solely for a specific GNSO Stakeholder Group or Constituency.
NomCom appointed members are expected to act with integrity and
independently. Voting NomCom appointed members are encouraged to engage
with the Council representatives of their appointed House and all NomCom
appointed member are encouraged to engage with the GNSO community more
broadly, [SP2] <#_msocom_2>to understand their concerns and views, so
that the NomCom appointee may be an informed and effective councilor.

NomCom appointed members who are affiliated with an ICANN community
group at the time of application are not meant to represent their
current or previously affiliated group and are expected to observe the
principles and intent of the ICANN’s Conflicts of Interest Policy.

[SP1] <#_msoanchor_1>NCSG rejects the word “ experience” and “within the
GNSO community.”Already we have an issue with burnout of existing
members, and a “revolving door” of the same people running for office,
year after year.We need fresh eyes on our work, to ensure that there is
no capture by a small group of stakeholders.Please revert to previous
language.

[SP2] <#_msoanchor_2>With respect to the language that has been deleted
here, starting with “balance the interests” and ending with their
appointed House”, please revert and return this important language.WE
want neutrality on the part of Nomcom appointees, and fresh eyes…in the
event that Nomcom selects members who have been active in the
stakeholder community at ICANN already, we absolutely need to emphasis
the need for neutrality and non-representation on the part of their
previous or current constituency.Repetition in the new paragraph below
is fine, we cannot over-emphasize the importance of this aspect of the role.

*