[NCSG-PC] GNSO call on threats and opportunities last week

David Cake dave at davecake.net
Wed Nov 11 09:58:07 EET 2020

One thing I have certainly noticed in the EPDP, and the RDS before it, and a few other  WGs is that policy work now often gets into legal areas that exceed even legal expertise of the lawyers involved in the PDPs - a number of WGs have had to call in outside legal expertise, the EPDP fairly extensively. It can be a problem for participation in the WGs when even professional lawyers find it difficult - and especially for the NCSG, who is lucky enough to have several experienced and accomplished attorneys both now and historically, but tends to have to rely on them fairly heavily.

Of course there are a few WGs that rely on other skills, particularly technical ones, but there seems to be a long term shift towards legal depth.

David