[NCSG-PC] financial assumptions

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Tue Jul 30 16:11:24 EEST 2019

I have been reading the discussions on the auction proceeds list, and there was an interesting comment made which has left me wondering if we should pre-emptively comment here in our statement on the financial assumptions.

We have not really heard clearly from from ICANN org which mechanisms may also have risks to ICANN Org, or, more importantly for this comment, consume ICANN Org resources, versus which can be fulfilled by external resources [and thus charged to the auction proceed funds]. At least one approach under discussion seems to be looking at how ICANN Org can "recover" funding by charging back for comms/legal, etc. Perhaps this is outside of ICANN's core mission but I am not sure I like the idea that ICANN Org can turn to the auction proceeds fund potentially to pay for whatever overheard it wants...

Ayden