[NCSG-PC] Language about GPI

Elsa S elsa.saade at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 01:19:01 EEST 2019

Dear all,

I’ve wanted to suggest language for the EPDP Phase 1 letter from the
council to the board since our last meeting. With the help of some of us, a
draft was written. Here it is:

“One of ICANN core values is to ascertain the global public interest
through the bottom-up, multistakeholder policy development processes.
1.2(b)(ii)The Board has invoked global public interest or public interest a
number of times in its resolution as the basis of its decision regarding
the EPDP phase 1 policy recommendations. When invoking public interest, as
recommended by IRP outcomes and directed by ICANN Bylaws, the Board needs
to be very specific about the material effect that the recommendation has
on public interest. Invoking GAC advice is not on its own sufficient. The
council is concerned about the process that the Board has used to assess
the effect of the recommendations on public interest.”

I’m also considering inputting the lnguage mentioned by Marika on the chat
during the council meeting.

Please let me know your thoughts and/or any amendments! I’m aiming at
sending this by tomorrow or Monday the latest.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

E.
—

Elsa Saade
Consultant