[NCSG-PC] EPDP Membership Composition Options

David Cake dave at davecake.net
Mon May 28 13:15:00 EEST 2018

I don’t like option 6. It sets a bad precedent for a lot of reasons, and it might give us some temporary leverage but I think it has many disadvantages, including some for the the pro-privacy advocacy side. I broadly agree with most of the issues Rafik brings up.

I think the CCWG model is a reasonable choice, though its a compromise in many ways. Our biggest asset is the strength of our arguments, and having our strongest advocates (especially, but not only, Stephanie) always able to participate in relevant discussion is vital for us.

If we do go for something more like a standard PDP model, or a more open CCWG, I would strongly advise from our RDS experience that 1) the leadership team that represented all SGs was a very useful model and 2) such a leadership team should be more empowered to control process by consensus decision, and to control participants if they are not constructive. I also think that the rules in the charter of the RDS WG that restricted the extent to which we could separate into sub-teams were very unhelpful, and the RDS could have made a lot more progress if we were able to push some issues into small sub-teams that could deep dive on some tricky issues - and then have the leadership restrict the extent to which those issues could be revisited by people who had no new arguments but just wished to revisit previous ones more forcefully.
I also think that a large amount of ‘parallelisation’ of the process, while it presents challenges in an area where there is a lot of interconnectedness between issues, is really the only practical way to get all the work needed done. So I’d argue for a larger group, with the ability for multiple sub-teams. I also think that while the small number of participants is a natural reaction the problem of the RDS WG, putting the entire responsibility of the process onto a small number of people, especially ones who already have other responsibilities, is a recipe for burnout and disaster.

I’m not entirely giving up on the straight PDP model, but the RDS WG certainly showed some of its flaws fairly harshly.

David