[NCSG-PC] EPDP: reporting in from the call with Kurt

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Fri Jul 20 17:41:38 EEST 2018

Hi folks, I am just updating you on the call with Kurt and Keith this
morning, others did not join.  Basically Kurt was trying to figure out
how to manage the work and where to start, the interim spec, the gating
questions, or go through the Charter.  We urged started with the Interim
spec, with the Charter parked on the side (or we will never be done).
He seems to understand rather clearly what we have been objecting to,
and said we were "eloquent" in our abstentions.  I pointed out that
basically we continue to follow in our WHOIS fights at ICANN, what the
SSAC described as 3 blind men and the elephant in SSAC 55.....we point
to what data we should be collecting using and disclosing in compliance
with law and HR, the BC/IPC/GAC points to what they have always had and
need for their use cases, and the contracted parties point to what they
need to make a name resolve/avoid liability under the GDPR. This has
marching off in different directions from the getgo, and we need to
resolve what is wrong the temp spec.  So if we are lucky we can do this.

Much discussion of how ICANN throws in political stuff to keep parties
happy, that does nothing to resolve issues, lack of leadership on this
problem from ICANN (let a thousand flowers bloom etc.)

I think he will be good.  Accepts the concept of Peter Kimpian being
brought in as an expert, I am going to suggest he send his application
direct to Kurt. Cannot hurt.  Looking for a mediator, does anyone know a
really good international class mediator?

cheers STeph