[NCSG-PC] Fwd: [NCSG-Discuss] Comments on the Whois compliance models

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Mon Jan 29 21:27:00 EET 2018

Apologies All for so many comments. This is the last one and then I am
off to enjoy NamesCon. Hope you enjoying LA.

Farzi,

In an earlier email, you insightfully asked: "I don't want Law
Enforcement be viewed as legitimate force globally and you know where I
am from. Does Eco model address my worry?" We have to dig deeper, but
this is where the ECO Model seems to shine.

What I fear is the ICANN Models, if adopted, asking the GAC and ICANN
Community to very rapidly come up with the law enforcement disclosure
models. Knowing their work, I fear they will focus on the laws that
protect us from disclosure to foreign law enforcement -- the GDPR laws
that would protect European citizens and residents from disclosure to
foreign governments who they are criticizing legally and fully from
their current locations. Ditto for the pro-democracy groups in the US --
disclosure of their names and addresses to Chinese or other
anti-democracy countries whether their writings (either neutral or
anti-China) may be viewed as a violation of law. They may still have
families in these countries! (This is not a hypothetical, but real world
situations I have work with). ICANN does not have a history of
differentiating between countries and law enforcement - all are likely
to wind up equal in our interim (and final solution) and that concerns
me more deeply than I can tell you.

For the Interim Solution that we need so quickly, as you point out, the
ECO Model will ground it under EU laws and EU treaties that are grounded
in human rights, individual rights, protection for an array of
noncommercial issues, including political, moral, social, sexual,
religious, etc. That means that international law enforcement will *not*
have unlimited access to the data, but disclosure will be more selective
and more discerning.

For an interim model, it is one with law and precedent and protections.

Best regards, Kathy