[NCSG-PC] Reviewing NCSG comment on diversity

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Wed Jan 10 00:52:19 EET 2018

Firstly, thanks to all who were involved in drafting this comment.

I have now done a very heavy edit of the Google Doc, so if you have already reviewed it, please can you consider reviewing it again, as I have made many changes.

That said, I don't think this comment is ready for submission just yet. When I look over the comment I think, what is it that we have suggested here that we would like to see in the staff summary of comments received? I'm not sure. I don't think our ASK is very clear.

I have some issues with the elements of diversity which the subgroup identified, but as I was not involved in their work, I don't have the background to know how they were determined. I have serious concerns around "diverse skills" being an element of diversity. The definition (pasted below my signature) inspires no confidence that it is not going to be an instrument manipulated to maintain the status quo. I think it's both hard to measure and arguably applicable to anyone. The edits from Renata in the Google Doc hint that maybe the seven diversity elements are not sufficiently exhaustive, and I think that's true, but we seem to have been okay with all of the elements that were identified, and I'm wondering if that is the case.

— Ayden

Diverse Skills: Diversity in skills contributes to the quality of ICANN policy formulation, decision-making and outreach. It is important to highlight and advocate the advantages of individuals bringing different and diverse skills sets into ICANN's many activities. All activities and groups within ICANN will benefit from having a diverse range of skills available. Outcomes formulated from diverse skills and knowledge will have a higher probability of being accepted by a diverse community. Increased diversity would help expand the diversity of skills within ICANN. Thus, achieving diversity in skills should not be seen as a choice between skills and diversity which excludes participation, but rather one which values many skills sets and facilitates inclusion and broad participation.