[NCSG-PC] Public comment on Ombuds Office

Martin Pablo Silva Valent mpsilvavalent at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 18:23:09 EET 2018

Tati and Ayden,
	I personally I’ve not made up my mind that a third party, a consultant, is going to guarantee independence in the Ombudsman role. Most of arbitrators, law firm or other organizations with the background to do this are heavily business sided or, unaware of the multi stakeholder model, DNS and Internet Governance in general. It is far more easy to detect an in-house ombudsman misbehaving than an outsider you only see in a room or in an email. Even if we found someone big and neutral enough, the big ones will always have  more access to them than the res of us.
	Business, law firms and governments will always try as hard as they can to bend the process and lobby, we are not going to change that and we for sure can keep up with it, but if that lobby is forced to be done in the inside of icann, with someone that is solely dedicated to the ombudsman role and who’s socializing is openly known and transparent, that cannot hide behind appointments or emails, the is far more easy for us to notice, point out and document.
	I do agree with the critics that the role has become much more demanding and important, and the current way it is built is outdated to the size and role of ICANN, specially after the IANA Transition. So we should demand for more documentation, deeper informs, more transparency and more rules and procedures, not so much for complaints, but for the ombudsman itself.

Cheers,
Martín