[NCSG-PC] [idea] Meeting with Dan Halloran?

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Fri Feb 23 17:21:40 EET 2018

I actually don't want to speak to him about WHOIS. I'm curious about what ICANN is doing internally to make sure it complies with the GDPR in its broader operations.

I thought it would be useful to ask Halloran questions that are within his scope of work. Is ICANN revising its privacy policy, for instance, and if so, what protections, if any, will it extend to registrants and to the community? What data does ICANN hold on community members, and how is it safeguarded (i.e. who has access to our constituency travel data? how are records for special travel accommodations, i.e. because of medical need, protected?)

In the Budget, resources are allocated to private investigations. Who is ICANN investigating? I've always presumed the backgrounds of incoming Board members or staff but we've never clarified this, I don't think. Does ICANN keep tabs on individual community members as a part of the threat/risk assessments that the Security Operations team conducts? In the January 2018 Executive Team report, this department mentioned providing internal teams with "security intelligence" and said they "provided successful safety and security support at various events including Board Workshop in Montevideo, ICANN60 in Abu Dhabi, Afrinic in Lagos, Nigeria, the DNS Forum in Minsk, Belarus, and the IGF in Geneva, Switzerland; [and] conducted site visits of Puerto Rico and Panama for ICANN61 and 62 respectively." They seem to be very thorough, so it would seem a gap in their work to not sometimes be paying attention to meeting delegates. How do they keep their intelligence reports safe, who can access them, and what personal data is inside of them? We know that ICANN maintains briefing notes on panelists speaking at conferences where senior ICANN staff will be present; does ICANN org similarly keep dossiers on community members, for instance?

To be very clear, these are just questions. I am not suggesting there is anything happening which is improper. I'm just wondering what data the organisation holds on us and whether they even know, too. This needs to be mapped...

Ayden