[NCSG-PC] [Draft] Letter to ICANN re: BC and IPC correspondence

Arsène Tungali arsenebaguma at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 19:05:25 EEST 2017

I haven't see Tapani involved in this discussion as NCSC Chair and who
is signing the letter. I hope he can have a look before the letter is
sent

> Hi Rafik,
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> I think we need to be explicit with what we are asking, clear that our words
> are not an empty threat, and definitive that consequences will follow if
> ICANN does not meet its obligations under the GDPR.
>
> I am happy for us to send the attached letter with Martin's revisions,
> though I think it does now sound like an empty threat. The ambiguity sounds
> to me like we do not know what our course of action will be, when that is
> incorrect. In the previous draft we were very clear: if ICANN does not
> comply with European data protection law, we will evail ourselves next May
> of the Data Protection Commissioners and if necessary, see you in Court. But
> we have spent a week trying to get comments on this letter and speaking only
> for myself, my motivation is now fading. We have other comments to write; so
> if there is consensus on this letter as attached, we might as well send it.
> If we do not, let's not.
>
> I have tried multiple times over the past two weeks to have a conversation
> around next steps. I have tried on the policy call, on this list, on Skype
> channels to talk campaigns. We all have our own interests at ICANN and
> follow different topics; I get that. This is something I am following so I
> have more time for it. And it is for that reason that I say, we are not
> going to get allies like AccessNow or EDRi if we ourselves cannot take the
> time to discuss a path forward. And I feel very strongly that if we reach
> out to others, we should not be asking for much more than a signature on a
> letter. It needs to be a part of a campaign that we are leading. We cannot
> expect them to take the lead here. We are in the ICANN working groups, being
> ignored and observing ICANN's non-compliance, and our civil society members
> have their own priorities which I am sure they have already budgeted for for
> FY18. So this is on us. I think a face-to-face meeting in Abu Dhabi -
> separate from our policy committee meeting if possible - is essential if we
> decide to take this campaign forward, and I think we should.
>
> But we might decide that we will not launch a campaign next year, because we
> are not committed to this issue. I kind of get that feeling.
>
> Ayden

------------------------
**Arsène Tungali* <http://about.me/ArseneTungali>*
Co-Founder & Executive Director, *Rudi international
<http://www.rudiinternational.org>*,
CEO,* Smart Services Sarl <http://www.smart-serv.info>*, *Mabingwa Forum
<http://www.mabingwa-forum.com>*
Tel: +243 993810967
GPG: 523644A0
*Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo*

2015 Mandela Washington Felllow
<http://tungali.blogspot.com/2015/06/selected-for-2015-mandela-washington.html>
(YALI) - ISOC Ambassador (IGF Brazil
<http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/education-and-leadership-programmes/next-generation-leaders/igf-ambassadors-programme/Past-Ambassadors>
& Mexico
<http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/education-and-leadership-programmes/next-generation-leaders/Current-Ambassadors>)
- AFRISIG 2016 <http://afrisig.org/afrisig-2016/class-of-2016/> - Blogger
<http://tungali.blogspot.com> - ICANN Fellow (Los Angeles
<https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-07-18-en> & Marrakech
<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/marrakech55-attendees-2016-03-14-en>
). AFRINIC Fellow (Mauritius
<http://www.afrinic.net/en/library/news/1907-afrinic-25-fellowship-winners>)*
- *IGFSA Member <http://www.igfsa.org/> - Internet Governance - Internet
Freedom.

Check the *2016 State of Internet Freedom in DRC* report (English
<http://cipesa.org/?wpfb_dl=234>) and (French
<http://cipesa.org/?wpfb_dl=242>)