[NCSG-PC] [Draft] Letter to ICANN re: BC and IPC correspondence

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Sun Oct 15 18:33:20 EEST 2017

Hi Rafik,

Thanks for your comments.

I think we need to be explicit with what we are asking, clear that our words are not an empty threat, and definitive that consequences will follow if ICANN does not meet its obligations under the GDPR.

I am happy for us to send the attached letter with Martin's revisions, though I think it does now sound like an empty threat. The ambiguity sounds to me like we do not know what our course of action will be, when that is incorrect. In the previous draft we were very clear: if ICANN does not comply with European data protection law, we will evail ourselves next May of the Data Protection Commissioners and if necessary, see you in Court. But we have spent a week trying to get comments on this letter and speaking only for myself, my motivation is now fading. We have other comments to write; so if there is consensus on this letter as attached, we might as well send it. If we do not, let's not.

I have tried multiple times over the past two weeks to have a conversation around next steps. I have tried on the policy call, on this list, on Skype channels to talk campaigns. We all have our own interests at ICANN and follow different topics; I get that. This is something I am following so I have more time for it. And it is for that reason that I say, we are not going to get allies like AccessNow or EDRi if we ourselves cannot take the time to discuss a path forward. And I feel very strongly that if we reach out to others, we should not be asking for much more than a signature on a letter. It needs to be a part of a campaign that we are leading. We cannot expect them to take the lead here. We are in the ICANN working groups, being ignored and observing ICANN's non-compliance, and our civil society members have their own priorities which I am sure they have already budgeted for for FY18. So this is on us. I think a face-to-face meeting in Abu Dhabi - separate from our policy committee meeting if possible - is essential if we decide to take this campaign forward, and I think we should.

But we might decide that we will not launch a campaign next year, because we are not committed to this issue. I kind of get that feeling.

Ayden