[NCSG-PC] [Draft] Letter to ICANN re: BC and IPC correspondence

Poncelet Ileleji pileleji at ymca.gm
Sat Oct 14 23:13:44 EEST 2017

Hi Rafik,

I have no objection to the current text as its stance.

Kind Regards

Poncelet

On 14 October 2017 at 18:39, Martin Pablo Silva Valent <
mpsilvavalent at gmail.com> wrote:

> I won’t mess the document, so I put it here: I basically took out two
> phrases: the one were it says we would apply to DP authorities, and the
> ending were it says we would go to court.
>
> This is strong and vague enough for us to do whatever we feel necessary
> and we outline the hard-risk real risk of ignoring GDPR (a subtle hint if
> you may).
>
> "As active stakeholders in the ICANN multistakeholder community, we want
> to participate in the policy changes which will see ICANN come into
> compliance with data protection law after a 19-year record of sweeping it
> under the rug. However, if we are excluded from the process, and feel that
> once again certain stakeholders with everything to gain and nothing to lose
> from the collection of end-user data are getting the ear of senior
> management, whilst we get the cold shoulder, we are afraid that we will
> have to take all actions at our disposal regarding ICANN’s continued,
> 19-year streak of non-compliance with data protection law. As we are sure
> you are aware, the new GDPR gives individuals the right to sue the Data
> Protection Authorities for failure to protect end-user rights, which ultimately
> will impact in the DNS use and ICANN itself."
>
> Cheers,
> Martín
>
> On Oct 14, 2017, at 1:20 PM, Ayden Férdeline <icann at ferdeline.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> Thank you very much for reviewing the draft letter. I appreciate you
> taking the time. Could I please ask that you edit the Google Doc directly
> and massage the final paragraph, so that you are happy with it? I think we
> do need to be forceful and punch back. I disagree that we should only go
> through the GAC or follow GNSO processes to be heard. We are, by design,
> being excluded from the conversation on this issue, and a flaw in the
> multistakeholder model has become apparent (at least to me). I think we
> should avail ourselves of all legal avenues through which we can seek a
> resolution to gTLD policies so to protect fundamental rights, such as the
> right to privacy. To box ourselves in and to forever subject ourselves only
> to a process flawed by design would, I think, be a mistake. Thanks again.
>
> Best wishes, Ayden

Poncelet O. Ileleji MBCS
Coordinator
The Gambia YMCAs Computer Training Centre & Digital Studio
MDI Road Kanifing South
P. O. Box 421 Banjul
The Gambia, West Africa
Tel: (220) 4370240