[NCSG-PC] Reminder Comment on GNSO Community Comment 2 (CC2) on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Fri May 26 14:27:05 EEST 2017

 Hi Rafik,

 I've made a suggested edit (although have not removed the line, pending receipt of others views) in paragraph 7. Specifically calling for contractual compliance in the ICANN environment traditionally has meant zealous enforcement of alleged intellectual monopoly rights. Contracts should be enforced: agreements are made to be honoured. That doesn't need to be stated. Making a specific point calling for contractual compliance plays into the IPC and CSG positions; I'd suggest that it is counterproductive for the NCSG to specifically call for such action. The line in question:

 ensuring contractual compliance of the Registry Agreement is key to this discussion as it enables a proper maintenance of what has been agreed between the parties.

 The rest of the document is a good compromise between competing views in the NCSG on a variety of issues. I'm happy to support if the above line is removed. Otherwise count me as an abstain: strict contractual compliance, in ICANN-speak, is not something the NCSG should be calling for or supporting.

 Ed