[NCSG-PC] Standing Selection Committee Selection of GNSO Representative to the Empowered Community Administration

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Wed May 10 14:08:41 EEST 2017

 Hi Rafik and Poncelet,  One initial note: This is the first SSC selection that does not involve a Review Team pick. As such, the rotation principle does not apply (assuming it still exists; the last selection left some doubt).  This is an important pick for the NCSG from a number of perspectives. The GNSO rep to the Empowered Community formally is mostly an administrative position in that the principle responsibility of the rep is to notify the ECA of GNSO decisions (which, in most cases, are made by Council). It is an important leadership role though: the ECA Rep is the face and reality of the GNSO to the greater ICANN community.  The NCSG, usually alongside our Contracted Party House (CPH) colleagues, has fought repeatedly to place the exercise of powers created by the transition in Council under the current House structure. We have been fought on this at every opportunity by the Commercial Stakeholders Group. To date, we have beaten them every time. Under the conception of GNSO powers traditionally favoured by the NCSG, the GNSO representative to the Empowered Community would be the GNSO Chair. That certainly was the operating assumption of the DT when we set thresholds and discussed this position.  It wouldn't surprise me if the CSG pushed for someone else. This objectively would not be wise. No one is better placed than the Council Chair to relay to third parties the decisions of the GNSO Council.   My fear, and I believe the CSG hope if they do propose appointing someone else, is that if we agreed to another candidate that individual would become a competing "face" of the GNSO to the rest of the ICANN community, which is  one of the reasons we pushed so hard (along with securing NCSG influence) for placing most of the new powers in Council. The last thing we want to do is send competing messages about who speaks for the GNSO. I will also note that GNSO Council Chair James Bladel has been serving as our temporary rep to the ECA while we have been racing up the SSC regime and working on the DT.  In my view the only candidate that fits with all that the NCSG has fought for in placing the new powers in Council is Council Chair James Bladel. If James won't do it either of the Council Vice Chairs would be the next logical picks. Selecting someone else could be seen as the first chip towards nullifying our placement of final EC decisions within Council itself and, indeed, the first step towards dismantling the current GNSO power structure by creating competing centres of authority before the 2019 GNSO Review.  Kind Regards,  Ed    ---   Hi Poncelet,  thanks for sharing the info. what is the SSC plan for this e.g. timeline, call for candidates, selection criteria? I understand that GNSO council tasked the SSC and waiting for a result by June. I guess the staff background document is good for starting the work.  in term of responsibilities in EC admin, I think those who were involved in ws1 may give more insight into the expectations of such role and what kind of candidates is desired for such responsibility, for example, should he been involved in ws1 deliberations or not etc.  Best,  Rafik  2017-05-09 18:22 GMT+09:00 Poncelet Ileleji <pileleji at ymca.gm>:  > Dear NCSG PC Colleagues, > > > > Good Morning the SSC shall be meeting between the 15th of May to 25th May > on various days to look into the *“Selection of GNSO Representative to > the Empowered Community Administration (ECA)”.* > > > > > > *Responsibilities for the ECA are as follows:-* > > From a GNSO perspective the representative is primarily a conduit for > communicating GNSO Council decisions to the EC Administration. As a general > matter, the EC Administration is responsible for the following tasks: > > ·         Receives and sends notifications > > ·         Moderates conference calls and community forums > > ·         Tallies decisions of Decisional Participants > > ·         Mediation > > o   Appoints representatives to represent the Empowered Community in > mediation > > o   Selects slate of 5 potential mediators from Mediation Admin and > > ·         Board Mediation Representatives > > > > Please any suggestions, you might intend to give me and Renata to look out > for during this process of the SSC is welcomed. >