[NCSG-PC] Board member election process and timeline

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 10:35:19 EET 2017

Hi

Unless my memory’s failing me, when we put Markus and Bill Graham on the board we worked out SG positions internally and then went external.  It seemed from the RP that folks in Iceland decided to instead have constituencies come out with their own nominations without coordinating first at the SG level.  Is that correct?  If so, you could then have five different groups putting forward pet nominees, including their own people, which could unnecessarily sow discord intra-SG and would make coming to early consensus within each SG a lot harder.  It would open the door to self-referential actions, more complicated negotiations, and a consequent obsession with defining procedural arcana.

Could someone closer to the action please clarify how we are proceeding and, if it’s the above model, what the plan is for overcoming potential problems in order to get timely intra-SG agreement?

Thanks,

Bill

> On Feb 14, 2017, at 19:46, Tapani Tarvainen <ncsg at tapani.tarvainen.info> wrote:
>
> Dear PC members,
>
> As I hope everyone is already aware, we need to agree with CSG on the
> timeline and process for NCPH Board member election.
>
> We had a session today about it here in Reykjavík without conclusion,
> but it really needs to be decided within a few days.
>
> I'll attach the latest staff proposal. As things stand the only thing
> there almost everybody agrees should be changed is the interview time:
> two days is too short to ensure all candidates can be interviewed.
> Otherwise feeling is that it doesn't really matter much - we can do it
> in the time we have.
>
> I will note that the 10 April deadline there isn't stonehard, it is
> possible to have an extra council meeting even on 3 May if need be to
> get two extra weeks, but it would obviously not be particularly desirable.
>
> Comments welcome. While we can't decide this alone, we can decide
> what we can accept and then people here can work it out with CSG.
>
> --
> Tapani Tarvainen
> <2017 Board Seat 14 Election Timeline 13 February 2017.docx>_______________________________________________

William J. Drake