[NCSG-PC] Fwd: [council] Standing Selection Committee

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Thu Feb 9 23:21:01 EET 2017

Hi Rafik,

 Thanks for this. Two major issues:

 1. One is the usual Constituency versus Stakeholder Group debate.

 Who should be on the Selection Committee? There was consensus that the
GNSO Council Chairs and Vice Chairs should be on the Committee. Then we
differed.

 One view, which was the majority, opined that each Constituency should be
represented. This view was supported by Susan Kawaguchi of the BC and
Heather Forrest of the IPC. Under this system the CSG would have 3 reps,
the NCSG 2, the RySG and RrSG 1 each, along with the Council Chair and Vice
Chairs. The reps themselves would be appointed by the Constituencies on the
NCPH side.

 My view was we should honor the GNSO structure and have 1 rep from each of
the Stakeholder Groups along with the leadership team. Under this system
the CSG, NCSG, RySG and RrSg would each have 1 rep who would serve
alongside the leadership team.

 The full Council has been delegated to decide which option to chose.

 The SSR was a learning experience for me. This was the most difficult and
time consuming activity I've done at ICANN. Not to say I didn't value it -
it probably fits my skill set better than other things I've done here and
I'm happy with the outcome from a NCSG perspective - but I just don't see a
large group being very effective doing the initial vetting. Everyone on the
team needs to be committed to doing the substantial and detailed work and I
believe that's more likely to happen with a smaller group.

 For reasons of equitable representation and the utility of smaller groups
I certainly would encourage support for the SG option. In fact, I think it
is absolutely essential from a NCSG perspective.

 2. The initial proposal made by Susan and myself included a rotation
system for appointees. This consisted of two parts:

 1. For review teams, the top three endorsees should be from three separate
SG's (assuming a sufficient number of applications), and

 2. For review teams, the SG that did not have  candidate endorsed in the
top three (which are guaranteed appointments) would, by right, have a
candidate endorsed for the next DT in one of the top three places.

 This was changed by staff into a general diversity requirement and was
approved by the Committee at a meeting with 40 per cent attendance. There
was conversation about weakening the requirement somewhat in the previous
meeting but I did not expect anything like this.

 I believe this requirement to be fundamental and essential. NCSG
candidates often have skill sets a bit different than others. In the SSR2
RT the GNSO endorsed James as a guaranteed SSR2 member and Naveed as
someone we would propose for further consideration. If we strictly applied
the skill set contained in the Call for Application neither would have been
selected.

 In fact, staff included neither of our candidates in their top seven
ranking. Both, IMHO, would be excellent SSR2 members but James was
perceived to lack specific desirable educational attributes and Naveed, a
man with impeccable academic qualifications, had no direct experience in
"corporate security".

 We're the NCSG. Many of our members lack corporate anything. If that, and
other requirements favouring industry professionals,  are going to be a
strict requirements for other RT's and the SG rotation is eliminated our
Members may have some difficulty being selected. I believe a strong
rotation is in the interest of both the NCSG and the GNSO.

 I'll be very happy to talk about all of this on the call tomorrow. I
believe in an inclusive GNSO, one that recognises the diversity of the SO
and guarantees all a place at the table for all SG's on these important
RT's.

 Susan and I have agreed to meet in Reykjavik with the goal of jointly
drafting language that would reinstate in some form the rotation concept,
and posting it to the Council list prior to the Council meeting on the
16th, so the matter may be considered by the entire Council.

 Kind Regards,

 Ed Morris