[NCSG-FC] Financial Assumptions comment

Ayden FĂ©rdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Wed Jul 24 05:15:58 EEST 2019

Hi all,

Following our call today, I have updated the [proposed financial assumptions comment](https://docs.google.com/document/d/15MRe6L9AkkS1e0y5LBzcLRxMfQt5Shi0RH7jIBKq8To/edit). Below is the one change that I have made. Please advise ASAP if this new language is acceptable, or if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

-- Ayden

New text:

We encourage ICANN org to update its projections to reflect a more realistic scenario, which is that the entire DNS marketplace will begin to contract, as has been the case for new gTLDs, particularly as price caps are removed from legacy gTLDs, resulting in an unstable pricing environment in which existings registrants may be unable or unwilling to renew a domain name. Based on the evidence presented we do not consider a worst-case scenario likely to occur within 2021-2025, but equally, a high funding scenario seems unlikely if there are fewer and fewer domain registrations.

Old text:

We encourage ICANN org to update its projections to reflect a more realistic scenario, which is that the entire DNS marketplace continues to contract, particularly as we see evidence that the number of registries is in decline. Based on the evidence presented we do not consider a worst-case scenario likely to occur within 2021-2025, but equally, a high funding scenario seems unlikely if there are fewer and fewer accredited registrars and registry operators.