[NCSG-FC] [Ext] ICANN64 FC meeting preparations

thatomfikwe thatomfikwe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 22:53:44 EET 2019

Hi,

When things are happening in parallel, with announcements for FC members replacement, makes the entire planning process for the Kobe meeting a mission.
It would have been better if such announcements were made after ICANN64, they put the FC in a difficult position and the Kobe meeting is planned to revive the FC not create uncertainty and uncomfortable situations with members who will be leading deliberations. Not sure if such actions were well thought of or well planned.

I am not exactly sure how we are going to proceed despite serveral attempts to hold a meeting with members before Kobe in order to discuss the planned agenda in detail and emerging issues.
ICANN staff is just an email away, the Charter requires the FC to work with ICANN finance so if the committee is to be effective then it needs to establish or revive critical connections that will ensure that NCSG and its constituencies are fairly supported.
Regarding the strong position of the community, what issues are they arguing? Do you think they are valid and what were the reposnes of members during that time?
If you carefully review comments, they.were centered around - the bank account and incorporation of NCSG. This is currently being dealt with and in progress, to also be further discussed and decided upon- the role of the FC, many disagree with a lot of what is stipulated on the Charter, whereas the Charter uses simple language
When we review we need to be objective, even though it might seem like the vocal in the mailing list are the majority. If the FC is designed to have no autonomy then its efforts to correct mistakes of the past will always go unnoticed and unrecognised.

Thato Mfikwe.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.-------- Original message --------From: Stephanie Perrin <stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca> Date: 20/02/2019  21:59  (GMT+02:00) To: Thato Mfikwe <thatomfikwe at gmail.com> Cc: Maryam Bakoshi <maryam.bakoshi at icann.org> Subject: Re: [Ext] ICANN64 FC meeting preparations

The event where the FC Chair, without informing his colleagues on Council or the PC, invited senior ICANN staff to one of the first FC meetings.  Nobody was prepared.  Most of us were unable to attend the last minute
 meeting.  Surprises are rarely appreciated, and noone knew the conditions under which staff had been invited.   If you check back in the email archives you will be able to see the grumbling that ensued after that meeting.  Senior people are exceptionally busy
 at ICANN meetings....we don't invite them unless we have consensus that we are ready to meet them.

We are by nature a consultative group.  The FC should always be consulted, so there is an open record for members to consult.  Many members have strongly held views on the FC and its mandate, and check the email
 archives. If there is nothing there, it is insufficiently transparent, at least in my view.  I believe that is a commonly held view.
Stephanie