[NCSG-FC] Urgent: NCSG ABRs

Raphaƫl Beauregard-Lacroix rbeauregardlacroix at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 23:18:17 EET 2019

Thato, Remy,

I understand that there are certain grievances regarding the role of the FC
within NCSG more generally. You have voiced those repeatedly and there is
indeed space for improvement. The ABR submission is not the context to
discuss that.

The way I understand it, as far as ABRs are concerned, the NCSG Chair is
there to simply observe that a given ABR is the result of community
consensus. Neither the EC, nor FC, nor PC, nor any other C has the
"authority" to submit an ABR. ABRs are the product of the whole NCSG
community, not the product of any of the Cs. I would thus dispute your
understanding that your ABRs needed to be discussed with the FC: they
needed to be discussed with the whole NCSG.

None of the ABRs you submitted are the product of such discussion and
consensus and for that reason alone I believe they should both be
withdrawn. This is not reflective of their intrinsic value (although it
does appear that your ABR regarding our CRM services provider is based on a
misunderstanding.) I think this is the basic rule of the functioning of the
ICANN community as a whole, and that it transcends Charters and other such
"legal" documents and entitlements such documents may give to various
committees.

That you did not have time to do so because the ABR process was rushed;
maybe. We were all perpetrators and victims, to a certain extent. But that
is not a reason to submit them without discussion, unfortunately. While I
do not doubt your good faith in this, you will understand that this may
look like an attempt to fly things under the radar and that it reflects
badly on the NCSG as a whole, and more specifically on the NCSG leadership
and you.

I will be happy to collaborate with you in figuring out how you can put
your time and energies to the service of a revitalised FC, for the benefit
of the community.

I thank you in advance for your collaboration,

Raphael