[NCSG-FC] [Ext] Fwd: Final call: ICANN 63 Meeting request

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 06:14:35 EEST 2018

Dear Remmy

Thank you. Many NCSG members have expressed their opinion about FC having
to travel to meetings, many have said it is not necessary, the charter
doesn't mandate it, ICANN does not consider budget for it and I also think
automatically re-allocating to FC is not necessary either.

NCSG EC gets 3 travel slots, one goes to the chair, one goes to NPOC EC
rep, one goes to NCUC EC rep (they decide among themselves). If the chair
cannot go, or EC members cannot go, the allocation will take place based on
NCSG travel re-allocation polict. ICANN has not considered any travel slot
for FC. NCSG EC does not have any other money. If any EC  slot becomes
available we publicize on the mailing list and all members can apply. As I
have said, and some of our members have said FC does not need to be in
meetings in person. I have carried out many financial tasks remotely
successfully, as well as fundraising. I do not suggest at any point FC be
set aside money automatically to go to ICANN meetings. Those who have
fundraising experience and are a part of FC know how to raise money for
civil society, by having connection, being able to go to meetings
themselves etc. The function does not need the face-to-face in person
meetings. If FC members happen to be at ICANN meeting (through a
fellowship, being granted travel through other means etc) then great.
Otherwise they are not entitled to, and should not be set aside a budget.
If the constituencies according to their rules and procedures would like to
fund their FC members, I have nothing to do with that decision. Other than
the chair, councilors and constituency chairs, no committee member is
entitled to travel nor gets automatic funding allocation at NCSG. It is
either. FC is here to raise funds and find resources. If it does so
successfully, then we might get to a level where we can fund them to go to
missions on fundraising. That time has not come yet.

As someone who has been involved with financial matters at NCUC and NCSG, I
do not see the need for FC to be onsite at ICANN meetings to carry out its
duties. We can write donors documents, project documents, document our
achievements and fundraise outside of ICANN meetings (which I believe that
is where we should be fundraising) and keep members updated through
webinars.

We extensively discussed this. I don't think in person meetings are needed
except when FC members are there for other reasons. We don't have the
resources to allocate at NCSG level to FC members to attend meetings.
Constituencies can decide their own internal matter. This does not mean
that FC's work is not important. It merely means the nature of the job does
not require them to be on site for ICANN meetings to move things forward.

This also does not mean that FC members, if an opportunity arises for
travel slot application, would be automatically rejected. They will be
assessed based on already established criteria.

I will be at a work event for the next two days and will not be able to
regularly respond to email.

Best

Farzaneh