[NCSG-EC] NCSG EC travel for ICANN81 (Istanbul)

Bruna Martins dos Santos bruna.mrtns at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 10:33:03 EEST 2024

Just adding my two cents to the conversation as a non-ec member: I agree
that the decision is NCSGs+NCUCs. These two slots are allocated to NCUC
reps at the EC and if they're not being used they should be open for
Members to apply and use it under certain requirements such as writing a
report about the meeting or presenting at the NCSG membership meeting.

Also agree with Farzaneh that it's problematic that the possibility of
opening a call - either to NCUC or NCSG members - for them to have the
chance of using the slot is being ruled out. Especially because that's the
precedent: whenever we didnt fill the EC travel slots we opened it up to
membership under a "fellowship" mode.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 9:15 AM farzaneh badii via NCSG-EC <
ncsg-ec at lists.ncsg.is> wrote:

> I disagree with your interpretation Julf of the operating procedures. I
> find it dangerous to allocate one constituency EC travel slot to another, I
> also think as a matter of transparency we should announce the travel slot
> available on the NCSG mailing list and ask NCUC members who also could be
> the members of NPOC to apply. I don’t understand what the problem is with
> opening this up. And no I don’t think NPOC NCSG EC reps should decide for
> NCUC NCSG EC reps travel slots. We open it up, Tapani can apply.
>
> Farzaneh
>

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 8:54 AM Johan Helsingius <julf at julf.com> wrote:
>
>> On 25/06/2024 07:48, farzaneh badii via NCSG-EC wrote:
>>
>> > I believe these two travel slots belong to NCUC NCSG EC reps. I believe
>> > the best course of action here is to provide an opportunity for NCUC
>> > members to apply.
>>
>> Reading the NCSG Operating Procedures rules for NCSG
>> Travel Slot Transfer,
>>
>> https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/Operating+Procedures#OperatingProcedures-996937310
>>
>> 1. The NCSG receives the following travel slots per meeting:
>>
>>     a. At the annual Policy Forum and the annual Community Forum,
>>        the NCSG receives 6 slots for Council members, and 3 slots
>>        for NCSG Executive Committee members, being a total of 9
>>        travel slots.
>>
>>     b. At the Annual General Meeting, the NCSG receives travel slots
>>        for all incoming and outgoing Councilors (a minimum of 6 slots
>>        and a maximum of 9 slots, depending on whether or not new
>>        persons are rotating into the Council) as well as 3 travel
>>        slots to be allocated to the to NCSG Executive Committee.
>>
>> So the 3 travel slots belong to the EC. Usually one slot is for
>> the (incoming) chair, and one each to a NCUC and a NPOC rep. Only
>> if EC members are unable to use the slots are they offered to
>> the wider membership. In this case two of the four EC reps
>> can use the slots - but they both happen to be from NPOC.
>>
>>         Julf

*Bruna Martins dos Santos *

Global Campaigns Manager | Digital Action <http://digitalaction.co>

German Chancellor Fellow 21' (Bundeskanzler-Stipendiatin) | Alexander von
Humboldt Foundation <https://www.humboldt-foundation.de/>

Member | Coalizão Direitos na Rede <https://direitosnarede.org.br/>
Co-Coordinator | Internet Governance Caucus  <https://igcaucus.org/>

Twitter: @boomartins <https://twitter.com/boomartins> // Skype: