[NCSG-EC] NCSG Mailing List

Stephanie E Perrin stephanie at digitaldiscretion.ca
Wed Jun 3 21:15:06 EEST 2020

So here is what I propose to send to Peter Akinremi, subject to your
approval.  Ideas are most welcome.

1.  Please do not resend an email that was sent in error, for which I
have already apologized.

2.  The section of the Charter which relates to acceptable behaviour:

> [...]
> following:

> a) Nondiscriminatory and impartial application of rules.The NCSG is
> intended to provide a representational vehicle for all noncommercial
> stakeholders; no noncommercial organization or noncommercial
> individual should be denied membership and no interest-­‐group,
> constituency or coalition within it denied the right to participate
> and associate on the basis of their political views orpolicy
> positions, or on the basis of their religious belief (or lack
> thereof), national p.2origin, gender, sexual orientation, race or
> ethnicity, provided they promote noncommercial interests.

> b) Transparency  All meetings, including meetings of all Committees
> within the NCSG, must be announced in advance and participation
> details made available to eligible participants in a timely fashion.
> Minutes of the meetings must be released to the membership in a timely
> fashion. Discussions on NCSG’s general email list as well as Committee
> mailing lists shall be publicly archived. Financial reports will be
> published on a yearly basis and within 30 days of receipt of a special
> request by a group of members.

> c) Service standards for elected officers.Service standards for
> leadership positions include impartiality, accountability and
> avoidance of conflicts of interest. NCSG officers hold a collective
> trust and are expected to be fair and responsible stewards of the
> NCSG’s activities. The Chair in particular is expected to look after
> the general interests of the NCSG and to be responsive to all members
> and officers in their requests for information. Term limits and
> regular elections, as well as removal procedures for nonperforming or
> corrupt officers, are intended to keep officers accountable and
> responsive.

> d) Standards of member behavior.Behavioral expectations of all NCSG
> members, include without limitation: adhering to ICANN
> Bylaws/Policies; supporting the bottom-­‐up consensus model; treating
> others with dignity, respect, and courtesy; listening attentively and
> seeking to understand others; acting with honesty, sincerity, and
> integrity.

> e) Equality of participation.The NCSG is based on an integrated and
> direct voting model and has a unified administrative structure. This
> isdone to facilitate the achievement of consensus among noncommercial
> stakeholders and to ensure that all members have the same access to
> information and the same voting power regardless of which
> Constituencies they are affiliated with.

> f) Encourage Consensus.The NCSG model seeks to encourage
> communication, cooperation, and consensus building among an extremely
> broad range of noncommercial interests by holding GNSO Council
> Representative elections open to the entire NCSG membership. This will
> ensure that candidates must appeal to a wide range of interests within
> the NCSG and attempt to build consensus among potentially competing

The Executive Committee's functions are described here: 2.4 Executive
Committee (EC).The NCSG-­‐EC’s principal functions include:

•Work with NCSG Chair to ensure that the mission and principles of the
NCSG are met;

•Supervise and monitor NCSG elections;

•Approve new NCSG members, administer and maintain membership records,
and determine membership status;

•Review and approve the status of all petitioning NCSG Constituencies
subject to oversight review by the Board;

•Coordination among NCSG Constituencies;

•Resolution of disputes between NCSG Constituencies;

•After review by the NCSG members, review and approve NCSG-­‐PC and
NCSG-­‐FC methods and procedures.

•General NCSG coordination and organization issues;

•Establish liaisons with ICANN Sponsoring Organizations, Advisory
Committees and other structures.

2.4.1. NCSG-­‐EC Composition.

The NCSG Executive Committee (EC) shall be comprised of two
representatives from each Recognized NCSG Constituency. Each Candidate
Constituency is eligible to appoint one observer to the NCSG-­‐EC. The
elected chair of the NCSG shall also serve as a full member and chair of
the NCSG-­‐EC.

2.4.2. NCSG-­‐EC Decision making•By default NCSG-­‐EC decisions are made
by full consensus of all NCSG-­‐EC members. Full consensus means that no
NCSG-­‐EC members have objected to the proposed decision. Any exception
to this default will be approved by the NCSG-­‐EC on a full consensus basis.

Our operating procedures can be found here
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/Operating+Procedures.

You will find more information concerning the procedures that Mr.
Aggarwal was disputing, under elections.  You may also find the
procedures for removal of a member,  but there is nothing specific in
our operating procedures about how we manage the list.  Considerable
discretion rests with the NCSG Chair and the EC.  As you can see,
members have already complained about this thread, and frankly it is
very disruptive to have this kind of dispute arise in the middle of an
election.  You may of course challenge the decision of the EC, but I
would suggest you review the thread carefully and also the acceptable
standards of behaviour, available here
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/expected-standards-2016-06-28-en
before you jump to that conclusion.