[NCSG-EC] Follow up discussion on list standards of behaviour

Raphaël Beauregard-Lacroix rbeauregardlacroix at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 00:05:26 EET 2019

Hi Steph

At this point any statement of any rules may by implication be related to
someone or a specific situation. I don't think we should let that come in
the way of stating said rules for the benefit or everyone. I think it could
be productive to include a statement to that effect, so to make your/our
intentions clear: if there is criticism to be expressed, it will be done in
private with the concerned persons, not on the list.

Also, I'm personally more inclined to give additional leeway to non-native
English speakers who may not be fully aware of the tone or implications or
certain words, formulations, and even small stuff like punctuation, etc.
The point is not to scare people from engaging on the list either.

And yes for "indirect" attacks too. This is what I meant in my list, but
feel free to pitch in to make it more clear.

By Bruna's meeting do you mean the NCUC-At Large? In any case, I think any
intervention has to be coordinated with Bruna *and* would be better done in
private. Please don't take this is a challenge to your leadership! I
understand your are appalled, and share your feelings. There are many
things to be appalled about at the moment... But as you said you are on
thin ice. NCSG is. I sincerely think you can achieve your discipline
objectives in private - your sanction power remains the same whether you
make it a public thing or not. And if you feel that your legitimacy is too
low, make it an NCSG EC thing. I think it's a better idea to keep all
grievances - including yours and ours - off the list. You are right it
would not be slander, but it can be interpreted exactly as what we do not
want on the list, that is implications (albeit indirect) of
unethical/"against the Charter" behaviour.

Please do share your text, I'll be glad to provide comments and edits as
the case may be.

Have a nice evening,