[NCSG-EC] URGENT - Temporary alternate for tomorrow

Joan Kerr joankerr at fbsc.org
Tue Jul 18 15:14:17 EEST 2017

Dear Tapani, All

If the council meeting is cancelled, let take the opportunity to consider
others.  Tatiana sounds like a good nominee.  Perhaps we as an ec could
consider Avri or others.

Joan

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 1:29 AM, Tapani Tarvainen via NCSG-EC <
ncsg-ec at lists.ncsg.is> wrote:

> Dear Robin,
>
> I was not proposing a hard rule or prohibition, that would obviously
> require a much longer process, only suggesting some criteria I thought
> should be given some weight.
>
> The first point is mainly a matter of optics, appearances: appointment
> when election is so close, indeed process already under way, will easily
> appear as an endorsement of a candidate by the EC, and that is
> somewhat unseemly.
>
> It's worth noting that such an apparent endorsement can affect a
> candidate either way: if it perceived as too blatant there can be a
> backlash, too.
>
> I don't see it significant in the present situation though, unlikely
> to have any impact now, but it is something worth keeping in mind
> in general.
>
> As for the second point, again no hard rule, just that especially
> for short term appointments experience is useful.
>
> We were a bit unlucky with timing: I hadn't seen your post on the
> list (I did not get it via the old list) before sending mine, and
> now I realize my message can be seen as directed against Tatiana,
> which was not my intention.
>
> Anyway, next council meeting was just cancelled so this is not quite
> as urgent anymore, we can leave the decision until our next call
> (next week I hope - I'll ask Maryam to poll for the timing).
>
> Tapani
>

> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:21:02PM -0700, Robin Gross (robin at ipjustice.org)
> wrote:
> >
> > I would not be in favor of inventing new prohibitions that have never
> applied to anyone else and exist no where in our charter.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Robin

Joan Kerr,

Social Entrepreneur, Humanitarian

T: +1 (416) 907-0783

Skype: joankerr_fbsc

fbsc.org, www.fbsc.eco

Chair: Victory Garden Leadership Implementation Team

Chair: IEEE Smart Villages Project, Sustainable Agriculture Working Group

Chair: Agricultural Track, IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference

Chair: ICANN Not for Profit Operational Concerns Constituency

Advisor, IEEE Humanitarian Initiatives Committee

Advisor, Climate Smart Agriculture Youth Network, (CSAYN) Global
Coordination Unit