[Igf-team] Global IGF 2017 - NCSG

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 18:52:56 EEST 2017

Hi

Thanks for the boot-up Martin.

I’m in the middle of organizing another IGF workshop proposal at the moment so I thought I’d flag a couple things. It looks like we have over 30 people in this group, which is great. I don’t know if everyone is equally familiar with how the IGF workshop proposal process works, or how the Multistakeholder Advisory Committee (MAG) evaluates proposals.  But it is an increasingly competitive and difficult business, they usually get well over 200 proposals for under 100 workshop slots, so it’s important to maximize the fit with their multiple and increasingly time-consuming guidelines.  There are about five documents at the URL Martin shared one could look at in this regard.  Bottom line, the proposal needs to be crisp and provocative in content; it needs co-sponsors from other organizations (preferably not civil society); the speakers need to be very multistakeholder and diverse (geo/gender/perspective/etc), and we have to have full contact and other details on them; there needs to be a plan for remote participation; all the roles must be filled, so we need names of people we know will come to Geneva in December; and so on.

 All a reasonably tall order given that the deadline for submission is a week from tomorrow.  This being the case, it will be important to reach agreement quickly on things like text so that outreach to potential speakers, co-sponsors etc. can begin in earnest.

I see Martin has indicated on the Google doc the choice of format as 60 minute break out session.  I’ve organized workshops at every IGF except last year (including a number of them for NCUC and NCSG) and have never done one of these, I’ve always done 90 minute panels or large roundtables.  Maybe first we should talk about the format we want?  Also, are we set on security? I suggested it on the list when we were chatting about possibilities, but I’m not sure how easy it will be for us to organize something on security @ ICANN in the time available, what are the overarching questions we want to explore, what kinds of people could we get, etc.  So maybe it’d make sense to sort such threshold issues up front?

Best

Bill

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 16:28, Martin Pablo Silva Valent <mpsilvavalent at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> I sent this email wrong on sunday to the igf-team-request@ email. Here goes right, sorry for that.
>
> Dear all,
> 	Welcome to the email-list that Tapani so thoughtfully created for us to work on the NCSG Global IGF 2017 Workshop Proposal. A few month ago, after a very successful workshop in the Global IGF 2016, we lunched once again the idea to do a workshop for the 2017 IGF, after a few rounds of ideas in discussions we submitted the request to ICANN and they approved our project.At the end of this email I copy the details that outline the idea that we shared with ICANN, originally given by William Drake (a.k.a Bill) in the NCSG list among other good ones.
>
> 	For those who might be new to the process, we now have to draft and present a Workshop proposal to the MAG in order to get approved and be able to do it in the IGF meeting. Since the deadline to submit is May 3, we thought it would be wise to have our final draft for April 30 (which is end of next week). The time is very tight, but it is what it is.
>
> 	Here you can visit the terms and basic information for the proposal: https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/igf-2017-call-for-workshop-proposals <https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/igf-2017-call-for-workshop-proposals>
>
> 	I created a googledoc with the official template of the proposal we have to submit, I propose we work on it as we move forward: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10YJE8rT_yXNgtMDONb8tf4GMYMdmCIdcBIN6XOQSwo0/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/document/d/10YJE8rT_yXNgtMDONb8tf4GMYMdmCIdcBIN6XOQSwo0/edit?usp=sharing>
>
> 	I propose that the we try to channel the edits trough me on this list and just do comments on the google doc to not overwrite things.
>
> 	What we need to do now:
>
> 	First: Defining the substantive focus more precisely and linking it clearly to ICANN stuff so it’s not redundant with all the other cybersecurity proposals the MAG will be reviewing.
>
> 	Second: Identifying speakers;
>
> 	So, based on what we already outlined, we need to tackle that First task. I encourage you to read the outline below, the form in the google doc and the resources in the IGF web I link above. Once we finish that we can start making a pool of speakers to contact. I will be filling the draft as we move forward and you can comment the doc if you see something wrong or want to propose an answer or writing.
>
> 	Each day I will try push the work so sorry in advanced if I spam a little this email list, but we only have a few days to draft this out.
>
> Best regards to all,
>
> Martín Silva
>

> Outline of the Workshop Idea:
>
> 1)Activity: Please describe your proposed activity in detail
>
> A workshop in Internet Governance Forum on cybersecurity and DNS.

> [...]

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  www.williamdrake.org