[NCSG-EL-REF] None of the Above

Poncelet Ileleji pileleji at ymca.gm
Tue Jun 27 00:46:22 EEST 2017

Hi Robin,

I total concur with your suggestion, it makes things easier and can even be
adopted at all our constituency level.

Brilliant suggestion to me +1

Poncelet

On 26 June 2017 at 18:12, Robin Gross via Election-reform <
election-reform at lists.ncsg.is> wrote:

> Thanks, Tapani.  I think we may want to approach this from a different
> angle.  Instead of trying to come up with an interpretation for NOTA, let’s
> come up with a mechanism that clearly achieves our goal.  It probably isn’t
> even called “NOTA”.
>
> What we are actually after is a way to make sure that every candidate
> faces a Yes or No option, so someone can’t win by default, and there must
> actually be *approval* of the candidate by the membership to be our
> representative.
>
> What is the best way to device that goal in the ballot?  Perhaps simply a
> yes-no-abstain choice for each candidate would suffice?  Then the x
> candidates with the most yes votes are winners (as long as they have more
> yes than no votes).  We would need a procedure for how to handle the
> theoretical case in which there isn’t enough candidates approved by the
> membership to fill slots, but that is easily devised.
>
> Thanks,
> Robin
>

> On Jun 26, 2017, at 9:46 AM, Tapani Tarvainen via Election-reform <
> election-reform at lists.ncsg.is> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I'd like to get some feedback on the charter requirements.
>
> As you see there's no mention of NotA there. I can think
> of three ways to interpret it:
>
> A. The charter does not allow NotA at all.
>
> B. NotA can be considered a candidate.
>
> C. NotA can be thought of as allowed implicitly, by default,
>   as most elections in general have something like it.
>
> Opinions?
>
> Other interpretations I haven't thought of?
>
> Tapani
>
> On Jun 26 11:00, Tapani Tarvainen via Election-reform (
> election-reform at lists.ncsg.is) wrote:
>

> Dear all,
>
> As time is running short, I think it's better to start with
> potentially most difficult issues and ones that *must* be
> resolved before the netx elections. So let's have a go at NotA.
>
> Initially I have two criteria I think must be met:
>
> (1) Compatibility with our charter, at least some reasonable
> interpretation of it.
>
> (2) Clarity. It should be easy to understand what the rules
> actually mean in any foreseeable situation.
>
> Feel free to suggest additions or comment on those.
>
> Regarding the first, here's the most relevant part of our Charter:
>

> 4.3 Election for NCSG GNSO Council Representatives (size, number, and
> distribution of votes):
>
> In the discussion below, N refers to the number of seats that need to
> be elected. Optimally N will equal 3 seats in years with normal
> rotation. Any number of reasons can cause this number to vary.
>
> • NCSG members classified as “individuals” will be given N votes and
> must assign 1 vote to each of N candidates.
>
> • NCSG members classified as “small organizations” will be given 2N
> votes and must assign exactly 2 votes to each of N candidates.
>
> • NCSG members classified as “large organizations” will be given 4N
> [...]

Poncelet O. Ileleji MBCS
Coordinator
The Gambia YMCAs Computer Training Centre & Digital Studio
MDI Road Kanifing South
P. O. Box 421 Banjul
The Gambia, West Africa
Tel: (220) 4370240