[NCSG-EL-REF] None of the Above

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Mon Jun 26 20:57:45 EEST 2017

It's actually odd to me to see explicit No votes on a ballot (other than
ballot propositions).

In a race where only one candidate can win the seat, a Yes for one is an
implicit No for all the others.  If we had Yes-Abstain, where Abstain is
interpreted as NOTA, and we required that a winner get more Yes votes
than the abstentions, that would seem to work (except we may potentially
need a process for a revote?). (Abstain would have to be an explicit
vote, whereas no-vote is interpreted as a non-ballot for that race.)

In a multi-candidate race where more than one seat is open (top two or
three, for example) we could determine that winners would still have to
exceed abstentions to take the seat.

In both of these cases, we'd need provisions for how to handle seats
that were left unfilled by the election -- some combination of temporary
appointments (or extensions of term of current seat holders) and new
elections?

Dan