[NCSG-EL-REF] None of the Above

Tapani Tarvainen ncsg at tapani.tarvainen.info
Mon Jun 26 20:42:01 EEST 2017

On Jun 26 10:12, Robin Gross (robin at ipjustice.org) wrote:

> What we are actually after is a way to make sure that every
> candidate faces a Yes or No option, so someone can’t win by default,
> and there must actually be approval of the candidate by the
> membership to be our representative.

I don't think that's at all obvious.

The reason most parliamentary elections and the like don't have
negative votes is that minorities should be able to get their
candidates elected even when majority doesn't like them.
Mojority of voters should get majority of seats but only
in proportion to the size of the majority.

This is actually a fundamental philophical point in how
we view our councillors' position. Does every councillor have
to represent the entire stakeholder group or might they
represent minority views, even unpopular ones?

I note that the charter is explicit in protecting the
representation of regions and genders. Are we sure there're
no other minorities that might deserve to be represented?

Situation with councillors is different than in, e.g., NCUC
Executive Committee election, where seats are hardwired to regions.

I don't have a hard position here, but it is something we
should discuss, as it indeed pretty much determines what
kind of NotA rule we should use.

--
Tapani Tarvainen