[NCSG-PC] SOI Task Force response

Kathy Kleiman kathy at dnrc.tech
Fri Apr 7 20:16:13 EEST 2023

Hi All,

I've added some text in suggesting mode. I've now checked with senior
attorneys in various states and the BC contention is simply wrong:
attorneys can (and must) generally disclose WHO their client is, but not
WHAT they've discussed.  In policy making proceedings, attorneys almost
always disclosure their clients, except in very, very rare circumstances.

So I have added (with... showing a jump to a later part of the text),
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rmJPMhoTWEh37Ewh-ticj7WMgwcQQ7VMZkzIHLlbCVs/edit:

Sorry for late input!

Best, Kathy

--------------------------- NCSG SOI Comments --------------------------

... Public processes benefit from knowing who is representing who and
then balancing the interests of the many different participants in a
proceeding.

Finally, NCSG must respectfully contest the underlying proposition by
the BC that attorneys cannot disclose their clients in policymaking
proceedings.  In very few circumstances is the “fact of the
representation” of a lawyer considered confidential. We provide a few
examples:

[1] See Cal. Formal Op. 2011-182 (2011). "In most situations, the
identity of a client is not considered confidential and in such
circumstances Attorney may disclose the fact of the representation to
Prospective Client without Witness Client's consent." Citing to Los
Angeles County Bar Association Professional Responsibility and Ethics
Committee Op. 456
(1989).https://www.hklaw.com/en/insights/publications/2018/03/aba-clarifies-lawyers-confidentiality-obligations
<https://www.hklaw.com/en/insights/publications/2018/03/aba-clarifies-lawyers-confidentiality-obligations>

[2] Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, The Rules of Professional Conduct.

3.9 Advocate in Nonadjudicative Proceedings

A lawyer representing a client before a legislative body or
administrative agency in a nonadjudicative proceeding shall disclose
that the appearance is in a representative capacity and shall conform to
the provisions of Rules 3.3(a) through (c), 3.4(a) through (c), and 3.5.

https://www.padisciplinaryboard.org/Storage/media/pdfs/20210920/140616-rpc2021-08-25amended.pdf
<https://www.padisciplinaryboard.org/Storage/media/pdfs/20210920/140616-rpc2021-08-25amended.pdf>

We look forward to a rapid completion of this important discussion and
to full and fair disclosure in the future!

--
Kathy Kleiman
President, Domain Name Rights Coalition