[NCSG-EC] [NCSG-PC] Fwd: [CORRESPONDENCE] Tripti Sinha to Johan (Julf) Helsingius RE: NomCom Rebalancing

Caleb Olumuyiwa Ogundele muyiwacaleb at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 19:58:07 EEST 2023

@ Stephanie, I'd be interested to work with you on this. We can also
schedule an hour meeting to discuss since we are in the same time zone. I
also know a couple of people interested in joining the write-up and the
approach we can adopt.

But first, let me do some basic breakdown using the GNSO and ALAC as
comparison vs the fact that the new bylaw continues to empower delegates as
voting members means that if ALAC has 5 votes as a single
constituency based on their RALOs, then, we are short playing ourselves if
we don't get 3 slots for NCUC, NPOC, and NCSG. However, that is not
realistic and will never be considered. what I think is realistic is to get
the 2 slots distributed between NCUC and NPOC but decided by NCSG which is
the mothership. The additional implication is that numbers-wise, we can be
out-voted if our interest does not align.

I also understand that when we send representatives there, they look at the
overall perspective of ICANN as an ORG. However, there are human elements
and biases when it comes to constituency reflection on the board and other
roles.

[image: image.png]

Visually from the image above, it shows that BC  and RSG has two slots.
What we can consider is approach through backchanneling for balancing from
this perspective.

On the other hand, as per the new bylaw change request, there is a blank
cheque here by the strike-through in the document. What I rather perceive
is that there is a big reset here that allows all seven GNSO folks to come
together and reconfigure. What the strike-through means is that we give you
guys 7 slots, go fix it amongst yourselves.
Quoting Julf from a different exchange which I totally agree with ."GNSO to
give NCSG 2
slots and the CSG to have 3 slots and CPH to have 2 slots"

[image: image.png]

The strikethrough in the image below technically means the NCUC does not
have the unique powers to only send someone to NomCom as decided by their
EC alone.
It empowers NCSG more this time. This then means NCSG will try to balance
both NCUC/ NPOC internally.
[image: image.png]