[Auctionproceeds] Update on the auctions proceeds working group

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Fri Aug 25 20:59:55 EEST 2017

Glad to hear you share my views Poncelet.  Apparently this was a request
from the Board, so perhaps not to be taken lightly.  However, they have
not made a strong case for it. We hear that the reserve fund, which is
supposed to cover operating expenses for a year, namely 140 million, now
sits at 30 million, because of the extraordinary expenses associated
with the IANA transition. This may be true, in which case there should
have been a bit of an austerity campaign this year to cut expenses and
replenish the reserve.

I have of course joked that ICANN may have to dip into the auction funds
to cover its fines under the new General Data Protection REgulation when
it kicks in in May 2018....heh heh.  Nobody laughs at my jokes.

Stephanie