[NCSG-PC] Meeting with part of the board this morning

Johan Helsingius julf at julf.com
Wed Mar 15 21:36:28 EET 2023

So I, Manju and Benjamin met with Matthew, Avri, Becky and Sarah for an
informal breakfast meeting (without breakfast).

It was a very constructive discussion. The board members seemed
surprised to learn that 2 out of the last 3 nomcom appointees
to the GNSO were from IPC, but noted that it is hard for the
board to interfere with that, and that we need to take it up
with the NomCom.

The board understands that we are spreading ourselves extremely
thin with all the (E)PDPs, small groups and whatsoevers going
on and starting up, but made clear that slowing down is not an
option. We raised the relitigation issue, and they pointed out
that one reason is that there are too many gray areas and
fuzzy compromises in the WG outcomes. They discussed having
the board liaisons call out those issues, but so should we.

We discussed the policy transition program, and the board members
encouraged us to share our experiences in the Public Forum.

In general they encouraged us to speak up more, as they often
wonder "what does civil society think about this?". No complicated
treatises or formal papers needed, just single-paragraph comments
as they can then ask clarifying questions.

Avri also made the point that they try to come and sit in on
meetings, but won't volunteer opinions unless asked - but them
being there should be seen as an invitation to ask questions.
They might not be able to answer on behalf of the board, but
can at least tell what they would argue in a board context.

Manju and Benjamin, anything relevant I have forgotten?

	Julf