[NCSG-PC] Questions to the board

Johan Helsingius julf at Julf.com
Mon Mar 6 16:28:50 EET 2023

So here are the questions in the form we submitted them. No way they
will have time for 10 answers, but...

Anyway, who will present which question(s)?

	Julf

1.     The GNSO Statement of Interest (SOI) Task Force has recommended
that participants must disclose the identities of their clients or the
employers they represent as a condition to participating in a working
group. We believe this should be done without exception to enhance
transparency and prevent group take-overs. What are the board's thoughts
on this?

2.    Has the Board reviewed the effectiveness of the implementation of
ICANN's mandate during the COVID lockdown?  How much money was saved by
not traveling, and what were the impacts on policy effectiveness,
outreach and inclusion?  Should ICANN continue to travel to the extent
that it does, given concern for our carbon footprint?  What do we gain,
and what do we lose with this attempt at global outreach and are there
better ways to meet with different regional populations and markets?

3.    From NPOC: When will NPOC finally get its seat at NomCom? Could
the rebalancing recommendation be taken further on how exactly the
rebalancing could happen? If necessary, outsource another review team to
figure it out, although we'd like to point out that CSG has one too many
and NCSG one less than they should have. Since the community isn't able
to reach consensus to abide by the recommendation that we got six years
ago, the board should carry it through.

4.    In her blog recapping the January workshop, Tripti suggested that
the Board anticipates making incremental decisions leading up to the
final decision on opening a new application window for new gTLDs'. Can
you elaborate on what 'incremental decisions' are to be expected?

5.    Applicant Support is a topic dear to the heart of NCSG. The SubPro
ODA suggested that the applicant support program start 18 months prior
to the anticipated opening of the application submission period. The ODA
also offered 2 options for implementing SubPro outputs, where option 2
would only require 18 months of implementation. While the GGP continues
its work, it seems impossible to incorporate the Applicant Support
Program in time for the next round in the aggressive timeline of Option
2. We appreciate the org's effort in mitigating risks and enhancing
efficiency by developing option 2, but the NCSG feels strongly that the
next round will be unfair if we open it without a meaningful and
genuinely effective applicant support program.

6.    We have received questions from the Board about how to be agile
and come up with new ways of working on issues to increase efficiency.
However, we fear this desire to move things forward can damage the
inclusive, diverse multistakeholder model that defines ICANN. Option 2
is a great example of this zeal for "agility" as opposed to fundamental
fairness and concern for small organizations in this competitive
environment. How does the Board plan to balance the desire to be agile
without compromising the due process, inclusiveness, and diversity of
the multistakeholder model in its deliberations, particularly with
respect to the SubPro ODA?

7.    What is the process for finding a new CEO for ICANN and at what
stage are we with that?

8.    What is ICANN doing to become carbon neutral and thus sustainable?
Why isn't traveling to ICANN meetings by land (when possible) the
preferred method of traveling? Especially in cases, where traveling by
land would actually be the faster and more convenient option?

9.    What is ICANN doing to better appreciate the numerous amount of
time that volunteers contribute to ICANN?

10.    How will ICANN align with the Global  Digital Compact in relation
to Summit of the Future in 2024