[NCSG-PC] [council] Supporting Document for November Council Meeting Agenda Item 4: Revised GNSO Councilor Job Description for the Nominating Committee

Stephanie E Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Wed Nov 17 19:57:51 EET 2021

Thanks for your hard work on this job description.  NCSG has had a brief
discussion on this topic, and believes that we have taken a slight wrong
turn in some of the revisions.  We believe that it is important for
Nomcom to seek fresh eyes and talent for the Nomcom representatives on
Council.  The job description should therefore not insist, as this new
version does, on the importance of experience.  Understanding of the
role of the GNSO, certainly, but experience in the ICANN MS model and
its structures is certainly NOT necessary or even desireable.  WE want
fresh eyes, different experience and ideas that can help us improve.

There is obviously an issue if former Councillors start to apply for a
Nomcom seat on Council when their terms are up, in terms of upsetting
the balance of stakeholder group/constituency representation.  We are
not looking for a prohibition of Councillors coming back as Nomcom, just
to remove the emphasis on previous GNSO/ICANN experience.

I hope that I have expressed the views of my SG adequately in these
comments and the attached markup, and suggest we have a thorough
discussion of this topic in our meeting this week.

Stephanie Perrin

On 2021-11-15 8:00 p.m., Steve Chan via council wrote:

> Dear Councilors,
>
> On behalf of the small team (Flip Petillion, Mark Datysgeld, Maxim
> Alzoba, Olga Cavalli, and Tomslin Samme-Nlar) that worked on the
> revised NomCom job description, please find their proposed final draft
> attached in both redline and clean. This version attempts to take into
> account the initial edits proposed initially by the previous Council
> leadership team, discussion both on list and during the previous
> Council call, as well as subsequent email dialogue amongst the small
> team.
>
> Best,
>
> Steve
>
> *Steven Chan**