[NCSG-PC] Input Required - Fellowship Program Mentor and Selection Committee Member

Farell FOLLY farell at benin2point0.org
Thu Jan 7 15:59:28 EET 2021

Tatiana, please my answer below inline.

All in all it is not a big deal, The Fellowship program is inviting SOs to nominate one individual each (total of 7) to serve as a mentor and that is what Tomslin’s email is about. Therefore, my concern is: are we going to silent this call to the membership or should we share the information and, the NCSG as a SG, could also attempt to nominate one person that the SSC will consider?

Furthermore, following Tomslin’s email, you said that according to Action item of the last GNSO Council, Heather was approved to serve for an additional Term. But My confusion still holds. The action item is talking about Serving at the Selection committee, while here we are dealing with Fellowship mentors. Are they the same thing? Not clear to me. Even if it is the same, it is still yet a GNSO Council decision, the NCSG or any other SO/AC might have another candidate.

> On 7 Jan 2021, at 10:47, Tatiana Tropina <tatiana.tropina at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Farell,
> may I ask you where you see that GNSO is seeking to fill 7 positions?

Here there was a typo, sorry… see below please. The Fellowship Program is requesting SOs/ACs to nominate one individual each. Are we, as a SG, going to nominate one person or not?
> The GNSO call you sent says:
> "The GNSO has been invited to nominate one individual to serve as an ICANN Fellowship Program mentor for three consecutive ICANN meetings beginning with ICANN72.
> <…>

> The ICANN Fellowship Program has invited each of ICANN's Supporting Organizations (SOs) and Advisory Committees (ACs) to nominate one individual each (total of 7) to serve in the capacity of mentor for the Fellowship Program.”

This is the call for Fellowship Program mentors, seven individuals to be nominated, probably not  7 positions to fill (select)

> One individual from each SO/AC.
> Total 7.
> I'm puzzled as to what you all are confused about.
That is quite normal. Something could be obvious for some people and less for some others. Perception.

> People can apply individually for the second one because it's the process of how GNSO selects people for the positions via SSC to fulfil the requirements of the general call that was addressed to all SO/ACs.
> But as I said, I am resting my case here, please ask staff for clarification as suggested by many if my explanation doesn't suffice. I am not sure any clarification is needed but I am certainly in a minority.

You don’t probably need clarification because you are certainly sure about you know or have understood. Also when seeking for clarification or explanation, it is not a matter of majority vs minority. According to the call, if someone does not understand something, one can ask for question.